Chapter 56. Time

1st May 1998 4:33pm

Everly laughed as she shook the little red dragon, smashing it against the felt doll in Astrids hand.

"Oh no! The dragon has eaten me!" Astrid faux shrieked as Everly let out a little roar. "Ahhh!"

"'dwagon'!" Everly laughed a toothy grin, a dribble of drool crawling from the corner of her mouth. Severus worked at his desk, one eye on his parchment, one eye on the duo playing on the rug in front of his work station. The corner of his mouth almost turned up into a smile. Almost.

"Come here dragon, let me wipe that face of yours!" Astrid smiled, pulling the toddler she pulled at the sleeve on her wrist and went to wipe her daughters face.

"Here, use this... were you born in a barn?" Severus sighed with a glint in his eye, throwing down a handkerchief before Astrid's blue knitted sleeve made contact with the drool. Astrid released her sleeve and reached for the handkerchief, monogrammed SS, in green stitching of course.

"I've been covered in much worse than drool, as have you if I recall," Astrid laughed as she took the handkerchief to Everly's chops.

"No! Mummy! No!" The toddler squealed trying to pull away.

"Come here you wriggly little dragon!" Astrid laughed, pulling the handkerchief away she blew raspberries on the girl's cheek and Everly laughed in delight.

Their giggles soon ceased when the fireplace erupted in green flame, and a dark clad figure stepped into the office.

"Lucius," Astrid breathed, a slight quiver to her voice. Absence is said to make the heart grow fonder, but it only made Astrid more anxious. She hadn't seen him since she fell asleep in his arms, since they last made love. A feeling of nauseating guilt radiated in her stomach as she reminded herself, he was not her last lover.

"What brings you here?" She asked as she noticed his shocked, worried expression. He looked worse, if that was possible. His stubble now a lot more than just a day or two old, angry bags under his eyes. He was noticeably slimmer, and in a sickly kind of way. His appearance shocked Astrid somewhat. Severus watched as Lucius stepped into the office, his footsteps were unsteady. Astrid removed Everly from her lap, placing her on the floor next to her red dragon, and moved towards her fiancé.

"Is everything okay?" She asked softly, placing a worried hand on his arm. He shook his head no, and with trembling arms pulled Astrid into a close embrace, nestling into her hair he took in her familiar sweet scent. Looking over her shoulder he looked to the headmaster, who dropped his quill and sat back in his chair with a quizzical, yet worried look in his eye, he knew something was wrong. Something had happened.

"I must speak with Severus, my dear." Lucius told Astrid as he held her at arm's length and stared into her beautiful blue eyes. He could see something there, in her sea blue orbs, but couldn't quite place it... but he could tell something was off.

"Take Everly upstairs Astrid, we will need to speak alone I think." Severus sighed.

"You think correctly old friend," Lucius voice cracked. Astrid turned from Lucius grip and swept up her daughter in silence, her mind wondered what was happening, what was wrong? She flashed to the idea of Harrys defeat before pushing it from her mind, no not that, anything but that. She knew whatever it was, it was grave. Propping Everly on her hip she moved towards the iron staircase.

"Dwagon!" Everly protested around Astrid's hold, reaching her small arms out behind her mother. "No! Dwagon!!"

"Shh, we'll come back for it later." Astrid promised, kissing her daughter upon the head as they made their way up the stairs.