Chapter 57. Battlegrounds

Astrid watched as Harry patted Neville on the shoulder, leaving the Great Hall in search for something. Everly cried into her mother's shoulder, holding fistfuls of blonde hair as chaos ensued around them, students and staff scurrying everywhere. Astrid rubbed Everly's back and hushed the child as best she could.

            "Astrid!" A voice called over the crowd of students frantically leaving the Great Hall. Astrids head looked about for the voice, eventually finding a friendly face in the crowd.

            "Molly!" Astrid breathed, pushing her way to the woman and embracing her.

            "Oh, I'm so glad you found her," Molly sighed, stroking the back of Everly's sniffling head softly. "We searched for you, after the wedding, we feared the worst... but Minerva got word to us, that you were here... with Snape." Astrid detected the uneasiness in Molly's eyes, did she really doubt her loyalty too?

            "The Dar- Voldemort," Astrid corrected, straightening her shoulders and taking a deep breath, "he gifted me to Severus, as... a prize, I've been captive here as much as the students, I promise you Molly."

Molly looked deep into Astrid's eyes, though she felt the young woman wasn't telling the whole truth, she could tell there was a lot of honesty in her words. Molly nodded and patted Astrid's cheek lovingly.

"I need your help in that case dear, your father taught you protective enchantments?" Molly asked. Astrid nodded hesitantly, her free hand pressing against the wand in her pocket. Would she remember how to cast them?

"Then you must come with me," Molly said, pulling on Astrid's sleeve.

"I'm not taking Everly into a battle Molly!" Astrid's voice cracked as she pulled away. She pulled Everly tight to her chest. "I won't put her in harms way, I'm sorry."

"I'll take her." A familiar voice chirped up from besides the blonde woman. Astrid turned to see the red and white matron dress of Poppy Pomfrey; her white hat slightly wonky from the rush around them. "You know I will protect this little girl with my life Astrid,"

Astrid stared at the older woman a moment as she thought, so many thoughts flew threw her head, and in the end, she went with her gut. Astrid nodded, and passed her child over to the matron. Everly yelled, screamed, arms and legs flailing as she was separated from her mother.

"No! no!" The toddler cried, her face turning red. Poppy wrapped her arms around the child protectively.

"I love you." Astrid choked, taking her daughters tiny hand in hers and planting a kiss upon the girls' little fingers. "Please, keep her safe." Astrid's eyes pleaded with Madam Pomfrey's.

"You have my word; I will take her down to the dungeons with the students who cannot fight." Poppy told Astrid.

"I will see you both there when all this is done." Astrid nodded, and with that she watched Madam Pomfrey lead a group of underage students out of the Great Hall, Everly squirming and fighting on her hip.

"You are a good mother Astrid." Molly told Astrid as she squeezed the young woman's shoulder. "Now, we must be going."

Molly led Astrid out of the Great Hall and into the courtyard where Minerva McGonagall was instructing Mr Longbottom and Mr Finnigan.

"That's the spirit, off you go." Minerva waved the two boys away as Astrid and Mrs Weasley approached.

"You do realise, of course, that we can't keep out-you-know-who indefinitely." Professor Flitwick told the three women, his voice had a slight tremble to it.

"That doesn't mean we can't delay him... and his name is Voldemort Fillius, you may as well use it, he's going to try to kill you either way!" Minerva pursed her lips and spinning around, pulling out her wand. "Piertotum Locomotor!" She cast.