Midsummer

TAURIEL'S POV:

The Mid Summer Ball was approaching. I was trying to decide what to wear. Usually I didn't care what I wore. But this year was special, I had no duties. I had time to prepare. I selected that most approprite of the little dresses that I had. Pale pink, Butter yellow and Sky blue? I pulled then all towards the mirror. I held up the yellow dress, did it suit? Hmmmmm. Quite bright. No. I looked at the blue and sighed. I loved the blue dress but blue feathers were rare and very hard to find. I setteled on the pink and went to the Clothes Room. The room was quite big, about the same size as the Healing Wing. But much brighter and fuller. Full of cotton, silk, cloth, elven weave and designing supplies. I went to the door and subconsisly bent down. Where were my weapons? Then I remembered, Thranduil had taken them. I stood up and pushed open my door, stepping out into the hallway. I strode down the hall and over a bridge. Outside the Fabrice Room I met someone I hoped I'd never have to see again. Legolas. I stormed up to him. Fists clenched. He spun around at the sound of my footsteps. When he saw me his pround figure shrank back. "Oh...um... how are you?.....are you..um... enjoying...um...yourself..?". I scowled up at him. "You know perfectly well how I am. Especially after what you did. Who do you think you are?!" I was getting to angry, it felt like fire was burning me from the inside out.  Legolas was trying to run. But he couldn't, he was trapped between the wall and me. "I...um...think........I..am..Prince..Legolas". What kind of answer was that?! "Get out of my way now!" I pushed him to one side and strode into the Fabric Room. Once inside I almost collided with a maid on an errand. "Oh my! I am so sorry. Captain Tauriel please accept my apology. I can be so clumsy!" I stood up and looked at the maid whom I had walked into. She had quite a petite body and soft blonde hair. It was the colour of sunshine on straw. "Is your name Mrya?" I questioned her. She looked up at me, showing her face. She had green eyes, moss green eyes. "Yes Captain Tauriel, my name is Mrya." She blushed. She looked down and began shufling her cloth and clothes she was carrying. I crouched down and handed her one of the dresses she had been carrying. I touched her arm, she looked at me, tears where sliding down her cheeks. "Mrya, what's wrong? Why are you crying?". Her teeth were chewing her lips. "I sh-sh-shall b-be sco-l-lded fo-or what I h-have d-done! M-Mist-tress w-will ha-ave me p-pun-nished!". She hiccoughed. "Who is your Mistress Mrya? Why will you be punished?". Mrya hiccoughed and began talking "My Mistre-s-s i-is La-ady A-Amer-th-tha. S-She will p-puni-sh me f-for g-getting he-r dre-s-sses dirty." She looked at me with shining, pleading, eyes. "I will try to help you Mrya. I will request you to become my personal maid. It's hightime I changed. Chloa is getting slower and slower.". I smiled at her, trying to make her feel better. "Th-thank y-you Captain Tauriel. I r-regard you v-very highly." She smiled and left. I headed towards my favourite seamstress, Celalie.

"Hello Celalie, how are you?". I strode over to Celalie, my boots clicking against the polished wood floor. "Tauriel, I am ever so tired. I have not slept or eaten in the past days. I have been so busy sewing for the Midsummer Ball...". Celalie looked liked someone had dragged her to Loth Lörien and back. "I have to ask a favour of you, Celalie. If it's not to much trouble...". I crossed and uncrossed my fingers. Hoping. Waiting. "Of course Tauriel! What do you need of my services?". A grin broke out across her face. "I need a mask for the ball. Can you please use dark red feathers for the ends. A gold and red twisted pole to hold. And gold and red jewels to decorate the edges.". I looked hopefully at Celalie. "I'll try Tauriel. The mask should be delivered to your chambers by tonight or the day after.". She stood up and scurried to a bulging, over-filled shelf. She took down a box full of dark red feathers, a container of white holding-poles, a box of red ribbon, a box of gold ribbon, a container of gold bits and a container of red jewels. She ploped down into her chair and began to measuer out elven cloth, a strong base for the mask. Sensing that she wouldn't talk to me any more I turned to leave. Walking away I heard Clealie sigh. I continued walking and shut the door.

I began to wander across the maze of bridges, doors and rooms. Not paying attention to where I was going, I found myself outside Thranduils personal chambers. I realised my mistake and began to turn around and walk. But an Elf's sense of hearing is very good. The door clicked and Thranduil stepped out. Seeing an ornametal vase. I dropped and slid behind it. Thranduil walked past, clothes billowing around his feet. He stopped. "I know you're there. Why do you continue to lurk in the shadows?". His head turned slightly. Deafeted, I crawled out. "Forgive me Thranduil. I was wandering through the castle. I assure you that I was not here for an intention.". I scuffed my foot into the soft, sliky carpet. "There is no need to forgive Tauriel. I know how you feel. I to sometimes wander the castle. I find it rather .........calming.'. His tones sounded affectionate. Not like his usual cold tones. Swish. He was striding down the hallway. I started to followed and then realised that it was time for dinner. I started to sprint towards Thranduil and turned a shardp left. I ran and ran until I could run no more. Panting, I slipped into the Dinning Hall and took my seat. I smiled at Merduil and looked expectantly at Thranduil seat. (This was polite) No sooner had I caught my breath, Thranduil strode into the Hall. He sat down and clapped his hands. The door opened and servants came rushing in. Carrying plates laden with steaming, fresh food. My breath hitched. Mrya. She was coming towards me. Carrying a bottle of Elven wine and a plate of steaming chicken slices. "Hello Captain Tauriel!". Mrya grinned and set down the food and wine. She looked nervously at me and said "You have a formal invitation to the Midsummer Ball. Meet me outside the kitchens tonight.". And with that Mrya rushed off. Talk, laughter and noise echoed around the Hall. It was once again it's old lively self.