Chapter 2

In his lair, deep underground, the thief king strode in aggravation. It was nearly pitch-black except for a few candles lighting up different spots in the rooms and hallways, but the eyes of the thief king and his men were more than used to the dark and could see perfectly.

He was beyond frustrated at himself and his men. The last attempt on the pharaoh's life failed. His blood surged with fire at the thought of that man still breathing and living a comfortable life. I refuse to allow him to continue existing on this earth, he thought to himself, gritting his teeth and crushing his fists closed. He must pay for what happened to my family, to my people! But now he has his guard up. I've lost the ability to catch him by surprise. I must think of something. And there must be no mistakes this time.

Just then, he passed the room where they stored all of their stolen loot. It was a medium-sized room piled high with gold, jewels, amulets, and anything valuable they were able to collect. Light from the candles reflected off the treasure, making it gleam. He overheard part of the conversation two of his men were having while they counted the bounty from their latest raid.

"Do you think it's true?" one asked the other, sifting golden coins in his palm.

"I'm not sure," the other one answered in his natural gruff voice. "But if the pharaoh really does have a daughter, there must be a reason why they've kept her hidden for so long."

The thief king stopped in his tracks and turned back to the room. He barged in without a word, grabbing the gruff-voiced man by his neck and lifting him effortlessly off the ground. The other man was startled and let a out a nervous "M-My Lord." The other was too busy being choked to say anything.

"You! What did you say?!" the thief king demanded loudly from the man he was holding.

The man grasped at his neck, failing to budge his leader's hands in the least. "I was . . . just talking about the pharaoh's daughter," he choked out, swinging his legs desperately in the air.

"Since when does the pharaoh have a daughter?! Explain this to me!" He loosened his grip just enough to allow the man to speak easier, thus getting his information more quickly.

The man coughed and choked, gaining air back into his lungs at a much slower pace than he would've liked. "We're not sure if he does," he struggled out, still being partially choked. "There's a girl that's been seen roaming around the capital once every few months. She doesn't show her face; she always has a hooded cloak on. Whenever the palace sounds the horn of the army, she stops whatever she's doing and runs as fast as she can towards the palace. She's only seen on days when the horn sounds. And the horn doesn't usually sound unless she's out. Except for when we attacked them, of course. There's a rumor going around that she's the pharaoh's daughter and the horns are to call her back to the palace."

The thief king opened up his hand and dropped the man back on the floor, where he gasped frantically to gain his breath. The other man sat there, not saying a word, trembling in fear at their leader.

The king of thieves walked briskly to his private room, the ends of his red cloak swaying out behind him. He entered, the lit candles lighting up his face and room. He sat down on his bed, normally the type reserved for royals and the wealthy. He just happened to pillage one from a tomb one day. He lifted up one leg and rested his arm on it.

So, the king has a daughter, he thought to himself. He thought back to every encounter he had with the pharaoh, but no girls other than the queen and Priestess Isis popped into his mind. He's done a good job in hiding her. But she messed up. She exposed herself. He chuckled to himself for a brief moment before his face got serious again. I want that man to pay for what his father has done to me. He's just as guilty as the former pharaoh is. But now there's the next generation to worry about. I could've just taken the throne once I killed the pharaoh, but now there's a princess standing in the way of that. Even if I manage to kill her father, the princess is the next royal blood in line. She'll be crowned queen the moment he's dead and then I'll be back at square one.