Chapter 10

Aya found herself yet again blindfolded and on horseback, counting the horse's footsteps as best as she could. It was a cool night, the mild breeze feeling soothing against her skin. In Egypt, even the cool nights were relatively warm.

Bakura sat directly behind her, arms around her, holding the reins. They were alone. His men were all back at the lair, only him and the princess out in the desert. He did not tell her where they were going. He had only ordered her to obey.

"We're here," Bakura said, halting the horse after a while of riding. He jumped off, helping the princess down since she couldn't see. He untied her blindfold and pocketed it inside his red cloak.

Aya rubbed her eyes, looking around her. Lush, green grass was everywhere and trees that were tall and strong dotted around the area. A small pool of water rested in the heart of it all, giving life to everything around it. "It's an oasis," she said more to herself than to Bakura.

"Of course it is," Bakura replied, tying the horse to the nearest tree. "Anyone with eyes can see that."

Aya looked around her in awe. Having spent her whole life in the palace, she had never seen such a beautiful sight before. She looked behind her, the vast, empty desert looming back. She traced it to where it began to change into healthy vegetation and a place with life.

"What're we doing here?" she asked Bakura.

Bakura slapped his hand on her shoulder and walked her further into the oasis. "You are going to bathe. Here." He nodded to the lake in front of them.

Aya shrugged off his arm and refused. "No way! There could be crocodiles or snakes in there! I'm not going to risk my life for a bath!"

Bakura smirked. "I figured you would prefer this than bathing in the bath house with the rest of my men. Of course if you prefer, we can go back and do that. They would be thanking me for such a show. One might even sneak a touch."

Aya shuddered at that thought, looking back at the lake. Which is worse? she thought hurriedly. I really don't know. She took a deep breath and turned back to Bakura. "I just won't bathe at all then."

Bakura scoffed with disgust. "I refuse to be with a woman that doesn't smell like a woman," he stated. "You can go in or I can throw you in. Your choice."

Aya looked to the lake, going back and forth in her mind. "And how am I supposed to know if there is a dangerous animal in there? I can barely see anything. If you haven't noticed, it's nighttime and I'm not as acclimated to the dark as you are."

Bakura shrugged, crossing his arms, not really seeming to care. "Be careful," he simply answered, leaning up against the tree.

The princess sighed, treading carefully towards the water. She only made it a few steps, before she looked back and saw Bakura intently watching. "Aren't you going to look away?"

He smirked again. "Now why would I do that?"

"Because I absolutely refuse to bathe if you're watching," she stated defiantly. "And it would make your life harder to try and force me to do it against my will, would it not?"

Bakura's eyes narrowed at the disobedient girl. "Don't try and fool me, Princess. The moment I look away, you're going to try and run. And you will fail. But I know you'll put up a fight and it'll be a nuisance to bring you back. And then we'll be right back where we started."

Aya thought for a second, staring up at the leaves in the tree and the starlight poking through in between them. "How about a compromise?" she suggested.

Bakura eyed her suspiciously. "What compromise?" he asked.

Aya explained "You turn around and don't look. I will go into the water and bathe and I will sing as I bathe so you know I haven't gone anywhere."