Chapter 20

Aya's eyes were wide open. She was afraid to move from the bed since Bakura told her not to. So she laid, completely still and completely silent. She shuddered as she thought about every moment she had been underneath Bakura, entirely subject to his whim. She tried to push the feeling of his skin caressing hers out of her head, but it was impossible.

What had happened was the most frightening experience Aya had ever had in her life. She imagined what would've happened to her if Bakura hadn't changed his mind. She shook as she remembered. As glad as she was that he didn't do it, she couldn't help but ask herself Why did he stop? He had seemed determined to get her pregnant. And then he seemed determined to kill her. Either way, Bakura wasn't one for mercy. It's wasn't as if he had never killed or had a girl against her will before. It was something he did on a fairly regular basis. So why?

She was cut off from her thoughts when Bakura came back in hours later. She quickly squeezed her eyes shut, pretending to be asleep as he had ordered. Wordlessly, he got into bed behind her as usual, rested his arm around her pulling her close, and falling asleep himself. Aya couldn't help herself from shaking with him up against her again, but she tried to calm it down as much as possible. If Bakura noticed, he didn't say anything.

Feeling him hold her again after what he had just done, Aya wanted to cry. She trembled with the urge to burst into tears, but she took a few subtle deep breaths to steady herself, calming the urge away. What if he tries again? she thought anxiously. And what if this time he doesn't stop?

These thoughts haunted her throughout every hour of the night as she laid sleepless.

The next morning, Bakura got up as silently as when he had went to sleep that night. Aya hadn't slept a wink, but her anxiety kept her from feeling tired. She sat up quietly as Bakura put on his robe, wanting answers, but debating whether to ask. He paid no attention to her, as if she wasn't even there.

"Um, Bakura," she feebly spoke after her curiosity outweighed her fear. "About last night–"

"You really want to look a gift horse in the mouth?" he asked, stopping what he was doing and glowering at her.

Aya pulled back, scared, and fumbled out "No. Never mind. Sorry." She quickly pulled the sheets over her and laid back down as if she had never moved in the first place.

Bakura sneered with distaste at the girl that caused such a change in him. The fact that he found her so beautiful and incredible infuriated him. He had never cared for another human being in his life. And he didn't like it one bit. How did this happen? he thought quietly to himself. How dare she have any sort of control over me! No one controls me! I cannot allow it! I won't allow it!

He turned away from her as if that would break himself from her spell. No, he thought. I've simply gotten used to her presence. If she were gone, I would forget about her and everything would go back to normal. But if she stays . . . He didn't even want to think about how far he'd fall if she remained with him. I can't keep her here anymore. He eyed the girl feigning sleep in his bed, once a fun trinket to have, now nothing more than a nuisance. I have to get rid of her!

~

Aya was forced onto horseback again, this time with a sack over her head like when Bakura had kidnapped her the second time. It had been awhile since Bakura had blocked her eyesight while outside, but he had refused to tell her why or where they were going. He would not say a word and, after last night, Aya did not want to continue to ask. Their ride was quiet and silent.

The sound of footsteps from their singular horse told Aya that they were alone. His men had stayed behind. Other than visiting the oasis at night, they never travelled alone. This was worrying to Aya as it could mean that something was wrong. Random specks of light poked through small holes in the sack where the weaving wasn't as tight as the rest, but it wasn't nearly enough for her to see where they were going.

They had ridden for many hours like they did when switching lairs. Luckily, clouds covered a great deal of the sky, allowing for shady patches to keep her from overheating too badly. It was still hot though and Aya found herself thirsty for water.

"Hya!" Bakura yelled suddenly, whipping the reins from behind her. The horse neighed and jumped from a soft walk into a full sprint. Not expecting the abrupt change in speed, Aya nearly fell off. She held on tighter to avoid crashing from a running horse again. Who knows how badly she'd be injured if she fell a second time while still recovering from the first time?

They only galloped for a little while before Aya heard scrambling feet and a familiar voice shout from in front of them "Who goes there?!"

Aya's heart beat faster in excitement, but before she could call out for help, Bakura yanked on the reins, forcing the horse to whinny and skid to a halt. He then unexpectedly grabbed the back of Aya's dress and threw her roughly from the horse. Aya yelled and "oof"-ed as she smacked the ground and rolled.

"Take her!" Bakura yelled.

She then heard the reins whip again and the horse neigh. It galloped away in defiance of the people around her ordering them to return. She struggled to sit up, pulling the sack off of her head as she did so. She had to hold up her hand to block the sudden onslaught of the brightness of the sun.

As she blinked away the light she saw a palace guard running toward her screaming "Princess Aya! Are you alright?!"

Without answering, she looked around at her surroundings. The entrance to the palace loomed over her, swimming with guards running around and yelling orders at each other. Realization hit her like a ton of bricks: she was back. She turned and watched with confusion as Bakura rode away, chased by an army of guards who would no doubt fail to catch him.

He . . . He returned me? she thought.