Chapter 27

Aya felt like she was going to fall off of her palanquin because of the constant bumping with each step the servants took. Even so, she tried her best to balance herself and look comfortable because the population of Egypt was watching.

Citizens of all ages kneeled down to bow with a hand over their heart as she was carried through. She waved politely at them, wanting them to see her as a part of them and not just as a royal. But that was difficult in this particular village. They had been traveling for a long time now and had finally reached their destination: the poorest and most troubled village in the kingdom.

The people's clothes were so full of holes that they were practically ripped to shreds, hanging off of their bodies like rags. They were noticeably dirty. Aya could smell them from her palanquin aloft and they all seemed emaciated. Nearly everyone was just skin and bones, barely having the energy to stand back up once they had passed by. Their homes were just wooden shacks, barely able to remaining standing by the sticks holding them up.

It broke Aya's heart to see her citizens in such a state. Here she was, complaining about living in a palace, eating lavish foods, and having absolutely no worries about tomorrow. But her people were suffering right in front of her. They barely had enough food to get by, their roofs were practically just for show, and they didn't have access to enough water to keep themselves clean.

Overwhelming guilt began to consume her. She looked down at the residents bowing to her and then down at the servants carrying her. I'm too privileged to even walk for myself, she thought despairingly. She told herself that she couldn't help the environment she was born in and tried to comfort herself knowing that they were there to do something about the problem instead of letting it get worse, but it was difficult when there was only one of her and thousands of impoverished people surrounding her. Perhaps Bakura was right. Maybe I am a spoiled, rich, whiny brat.

The servants carefully set her down along with her father's palanquin in front of her and offered her a hand to help her off. She politely took his hand and gracefully descended off her palanquin.

As the townspeople stood up, all eyes focused on Aya. They were intrigued by the princess they had only recently learned existed. They had thought for years that the current king and queen had produced no heirs and that the throne would be passed down to the next closest relative. But now, there suddenly was a successor that had apparently existed for eighteen years. Everyone was fascinated.

Aya couldn't help but feel nervous with all these people staring. Now that the time had finally come to face her citizens head on, she was apprehensive about making the first move. What if her father was right? What if they were dangerous? What if they tried to harm them? What if they resented them for being royals and well off? Aya could feel herself slowly shrinking into herself as her panicked thoughts started to take over.

At last, a scruffy, frail man in the crowd came forward and examined Aya closely. Eventually, he drew his face into a satisfied grin and called out to the townfolk "The princess has come to take care of her people! Praise be to the princess! Long live the princess!"

"Long live the princess!"

The phrase spread among the town and soon turned into a chant, everyone raising their fist to the sky and repeating the words over and over again.

Aya's tension instantly melted away when everybody appeared to appreciate her in such a way. She had never truly been in public before now. She was always in hiding when she snuck out of the palace and had to be careful that people wouldn't find out who she was. The only people that she was ever allowed to interact with lived in the palace and were familiar to her. But now, there were hundreds of people around her, chanting her praises, happy to have her there. It made Aya's heart so full in a way she had never felt it before.

With tears of happiness whispering at the corners of her eyes, she turned to her father who was also gleaming at her with a proud smile.

"Let's set up," she said.

~

Deep in the shadows of the same village, hidden away from prying eyes, white hair poked out of a hood, hiding the face of its owner. He stood halfway behind one of the decrepit houses, peering out to the large crowd huddled around the princess. He only caught a glimpse of her before she disappeared amongst the horde, but even that brief moment was enough to get his heart racing.

It was the first time he was seeing her since he had let her go and she looked even more beautiful than he remembered. The last time he saw her, she was wearing the plain dresses he had bought her, dirty and unkempt. She now was back in her royal garments, ethereal with light shining off her gold accessories. Her hair was gorgeously done, her maids having taken great care in laying it just right. He hadn't truly observed her highness when he first met her. He was enraptured by what he saw.

Eventually, the wave of people parted and he saw his love once again. He watched silently as the townspeople lined up to receive a hearty stew, served personally by the princess and her father. They held out their bowls graciously as Aya generously spooned it from a large pot in front of her. Once they had their food, they hobbled away to slurp up the nutrition they had surely been severely lacking. Families and friends huddled together as they ate. Mothers fed the children that were too young to feed themselves. Hungry villagers shoveled the food greedily into their mouths. All were smiling and praising the princess and the pharaoh amongst each other.

Bakura surveyed the area closely, but he knew he would not be able to make his move here. There were too many people around. But that was alright. He hadn't expected to confront the princess this soon. Instead, he was simply keeping a close eye on her for now while he came up with a plan. Hasty actions bring about hasty defeat. He dared not move from his position and merely watched silently.

The princess smiled at each and every person that shuffled in front of her for food. She interacted with them as if they were equals, making chitchat and making them feel like they wouldn't be forgotten. Her father, standing next to her, handing out the bowls to the poor, was doing the same thing, but unlike the princess, his presence sickened Bakura's nerves.

He snarled at him, safely blended in and no fear of being caught. The sight of the pharaoh made his fists clench and an angry heat overtake his body. He detested them standing so close together. Aya was too good to be anywhere near the pharaoh or idolize him in any way. She was leagues above him in every possible form. But he knew it couldn't be helped. He was her father after all and he understood that, but he was still repulsed that she was forced to lower herself to him.

After everyone had their meals, Aya and the pharaoh walked around passed out brand new clothing for everyone. The raggedy clothes these people wore were most likely the only clothes they had ever owned, so having a new set was a luxury none of them had thought would come any time soon.

Aya knelt down to a little girl, no more than five years old, and gently placed a neatly folded dress into her hands. The little girl hugged the dress tightly to her chest and thanked the princess excitedly. The princess grinned, taking the little girl's hands into hers, and said something to her that Bakura couldn't hear.

That small interaction with the child softened his heart just a little, but he didn't show even a slight change of emotion on his face. She seemed to have a natural way with the child, making her giggle and smile and bounce in excitement with every word. She'd be a natural mother, he already knew, but he could envision that child being their own, the genuine smile on her face as they played and laughed.

But that reality was miles away. For now, he just waited and watched from afar in silence. He knew he would find the perfect opportunity to take her again soon.