Info: coming out to unsupportive parents

So... you know who you are. Maybe you have some labels, maybe you don't. Maybe your parents are calling you by the wrong name or pronouns, or making comments about your dating life.

First, that sucks. And I'm sorry.

Sometimes, you know that your parents don't like queer people, for various reasons. Maybe you don't know what their reaction will be when you come out, but maybe you do. The sad truth is, a lot of queer kids get kicked out when they come out, and some are even sent to conversion therapy, which is a terrible and misguided practice, and frankly, it doesn't work.

So. If you don't know how your parents will react, try asking them about famous queer people and see how they respond. Or watch a show like Queer Eye, or even just suggest watching it. Once you've gauged their reactions, you might be able to tell how they would react if you came out to them.

Prepare for your coming out ahead of time. Do research and come armed with statistics, definitions, PowerPoints, anything you think would help.

But what if you think your parents might kick you out?

The most important question to ask yourself first is, how badly do you want them to know? Maybe it's a thing you're fine keeping hidden for a few more months or years. But sometimes it's not, and you really want to tell them now. So let's prepare.

Ask friends if it would be okay by them (and their parents) if you crashed at their house for a few days. Identify a list of friends or relatives and their addresses and phone numbers and write them down on a piece of paper, in case your phone dies. 

Next, you want to look for youth shelters in your area, just in case. Some great resources will be in the comments and also here:

• hud.gov/findshelter

• shelterlistings.org

• salvationarmyusa.org/usn/plugins/gdosCenterSearch?start=1

• thetrevorproject.org/resources/article/resources-for-lgbtq-youth-experiencing-homelessness

The Trevor Project has a lot of great resources and a text and call hotline that can be beneficial both in crisis and when you're in need of advice. Its coming out handbook is here:

• thetrevorproject.org/resources/guide/the-coming-out-handbook

You can also dial 211 and be connected with people who can help you figure out a path.

I hope this short guide was helpful, and check the comments for links that actually hyperlink! Stay safe out there. <3