Chapter 1 - A Night of Longing

The black sky is sequenced with the glittering glow of the stars, as one with improved vision, she could see their bright colours despite being light-years away from them. Impossible isn't it? But not for a nosferatu. A bunch of reds and yellows this season, she thought, looking at the sky. The cold wind quietly murmurs as it blows the leaves off of yellow-hued trees, it's a pretty chilly evening but that didn't bother Wilhelmina Mortimor (Ashley Olsen)

 The cold wind quietly murmurs as it blows the leaves off of yellow-hued trees, it's a pretty chilly evening but that didn't bother Wilhelmina Mortimor (Ashley Olsen)

Wilhelmina side by side with her twin, Magdalene Mortimor (Mary-Kate Olsen) had lived since 1898 but none had aged for decades. Both are well-heeled and lived together in a lavish estate outside the city, outlying from human view.

Their only company are the trees, some wild deer and squirrels, and the clear, serpentine river sliding peacefully nearby. Despite existing for a long time, the Mortimors appear to be in their mid-thirties - the sisters' former blonde hair became milk-white locks, their fair complexion became deathly pale, and their once lively green eyes became a calm and restful crimson. Daily nourishment and hunting are not a nuisance, the animals living within their reach are easy targets. Attacking is barbaric for the sisters - during their first years as undead, their bloodlust is brand new and overwhelming.

They preyed on passersby submit them against their will, the victims' fear and anguish tasted delicious and savoury for a brief moment until the thirst is gone and all they would feel is remorse for what they had done. Because of this regret, they mastered the art of hypnotism, the most glorified skill of the vampire - the process soothes both the mind and the body instead of forcing it and giving the victim borrowed time to resist.

Wilhemina and Magdalene drank on wild deer, rabbits, raccoons, and squirrels - lure the animal, drank from them, and let them go afterward or they would just kill a pesky raccoon for bringing city trash into their front yard. They stopped drinking blood from humans because most have vices; too much alcohol, nicotine, crack, or even an underlying venereal infection.

The Mortimors are currently on their manor's shaded balcony, the slight wind is near freezing temperature but it didn't bother the sisters they both held their wine glasses - but instead of wine, fresh blood from two rabbits is in them. Magdalene is sipping quietly while staring at the horizon, they live outside the city hidden by a heavily forested area. Despite the thick trees hiding their home from public view, they could still see the skyscrapers and the city lights peeking above the groves.

"Something wrong with your meal, Mina?" Magdalene said, noticing how Wilhemina slightly swirled her glass, like a wine connoisseur inspecting the beverage as if there is debris or an odd discolouration in his/her drink. Wilhelmina ignored her sister for a moment and stared at the life-giving substance that's been sustaining them for nearly a hundred years - threatening dark red with a little metallic odour, its taste is bitter and coppery with a terrible aftertaste.

Despite popular belief - Wilhelmina and Magdalene are still capable of consuming food but chose not to because one drink of blood is enough to keep their stomachs full for some considerable time. Still, that doesn't stop Wilhelmina, the older twin from wandering her thoughts about the days before they got "turned" into the supernatural being they are now.

The food they used to eat had a wide variety of flavours: sweet, bitter, sour, and savoury. The relish, the tang, heat, and zing from the spice, zest from citruses, lusciousness from pastry, seasoning from meat, the punch from booze. Wilhelmina secretly misses that. She enjoyed her and Magdalene's life as a vampire but sometimes drinking from the same species over and over can be tiresome too.

Wilhelmina let out a quiet sigh and gulped the unappetizing liquid down. Magdalene who was observing her sister the entire time did not miss that quiet sigh! Magdalene, the younger twin, was always the more empathetic, fiery, and passionate sibling. They've been together for 106 years, and their relationship is like 'a marriage and a partnership' - she's choleric and Wilhelmina's phlegmatic. Magdalene's creative yin and her twin's entrepreneurial yang forge the success of their company.

Magdalene gulped down her wine goblet and stood up from her seat.

It is completely outlandish for a vampire to sleep at night time. But the Mortimors, despite becoming nocturnal creatures, still chose to practice their mortal routines. Wilhelmina resorts to her and her sisters' bed and lay down to rest... Magdalene however is not tired.

The younger twin climbed on top of her sister, Wilhelmina opened her eyes and saw Magdalene looking down at her. Magdalene's eyes are red but they're not in their usual relaxed ones, they appear bold and fierce as if in bloodlust she parted her robe revealing her porcelain pale skin. Wilhelmina could see the pulsing vein in her neck.

"You should've said your dinner's boring," Magdalene said. Wilhelmina sat down so she could get a closer look at her straddled sibling. Bitter, metallic, coppery, a little bit of salt, sometimes chalky or even sugary-like, and overall disgusting - blood's typical descriptors. There is a reason why some vampire masters have sexual relations with their familiars, drinking from whom you have an intimate relation adds a special spice to the otherwise unpleasant taste of blood.

Wilhelmina sank her fangs into Magdalene's neck and started drinking. The younger twin's blood tasted like heaven in the older twin's mouth, Wilhelmina bites harder to get more of it - Magdalene's blood is silky smooth like expensive chocolate ice cream, it tastes like the finest wine a restaurant kept only on special occasions because that's how fucking good it is.

It's an explosion of numerous pleasant flavours in Wilhelmina's mouth - it's playful, honeyed, creamy, and at the same time bitter, dark, bold, with a lingering taste that Wilhelmina herself, could not describe in words the default flavour of ordinary blood is nowhere to be seen or tasted.

While Wilhelmina feasted, Magdalene arched her neck, she's panting a little, her eyes closed shut and her lips beautifully parted as soft, pleasurable sighs escaped from them. 'This is wrong.' - Wilhelmina thought she could hear how thrilled Magdalene was.

In natural law, their act would be considered atrocious. She's the older one - she should know what's right from wrong. But guess what? They outlived the people with their pitchforks and their rifles, they are decaying six feet under with their mouldy tombstones on top of their bodies! While she and Magdalene lived far too their crusty, musty corpses could reach! Wilhelmina Mortimor smirked at their victory.

Magdalene felt the smile and opened her eyes to look at Wilhelmina.

"Happy?" Magdalene mused.

"I'm full," Wilhelmina said smiling.

They're both sleepy, it's nearly four in the morning. The Mortimors lay side by side, arms draped around each other, the slides in their house's windows automatically shielded the incoming sun. Sunlight doesn't melt them, but it's annoying to sleep in a room that is flooded with so much brightness. The beginning of autumn is usually a harsh time, they could sense the slow-burning anxiety in the season itself, and the city outside their silent abode radiates with it. The Mortimors couldn't care less though.