Chapter 25 - Last Day on Earth

Dorian Amsel woke up from the blinding lights above her despite waking up for seconds she regains her conscious thought and recognizes where she is and where she was lying at.

She scans the whole room, despite her still blurry vision she could see an overbed table, a lampshade on a bed stand, a dextrose stand, a television, the air-conditioning unit, and the looming figure of two women watching her.

"Good morning, Dorian," Wilhelmina said.

"M-ms. Mortimor..." Dorian muttered.

Dorian tries to sit up but could not, her body has become physically weaker.

"Do you remember what happened yesterday?" Magdalene said.

The twins watched as Dorian tried to grasp what happened last night, but then slumped in defeat and annoyance as she couldn't recall anything. The sommelier shook her head.

"You had a heart attack while working at the Crustacean Coast (restaurant). The seizure made you weaker." Wilhelmina explained calmly.

"A seizure?" Dorian said.

"Yes. You had a seizure, it was near-fatal." Magdalene said.

She then puts Dorian's envelope of medical documents and x-ray on the overbed table.

"Why didn't you tell us about this Dorian?" Magdalene said. The vampiress watches as the woman guiltily looks down.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems.." Dorian said.

Magdalene held Dorian's hands, rubbing them affectionately. The vampiress could sense within the sommelier's skin, she could feel her pulse beating slower than normal.

"Oh, Dorian... Why are you bottling everything yourself? Did Wilhelmina and I horrible to you? Are we dishonest? We had entrusted you with the care of our house when we were out. We have entrusted you with our intimate thoughts and memories. We treated you fairly because we know what you're going through. Why do you think that we will be bothered by your dilemmas when we could have helped you in return for your loyalty, hard work, and integrity." Magdalene said.

Dorian sighed.

"Since I was younger I know my time would be limited. Instead of moping for eternity? Why just make the best of my life? I'm dying anyway. I said goodbye to my mother and I did the best work I could... I got fired. Got back up... I trusted my gut when at first I doubted this mysterious blackbird leading me to your doorstep. I never thought that I could pull off pairing chocolates, cigars, pizza, cupcakes, and seafood without the help of a sommelier higher than my position to coach me for answers. I learned how to cook Fonduta when I thought I would fuck it up!" Dorian said.

"You don't know how to cook the cheese fondue?" Wilhelmina said.

Dorian shooked her head, a "no".

"I looked over the library and found this risky fiddly-fuddly recipe that I could potentially screw up and got me fired. But it worked out great seeing that you two 'finished' the entire bowl." Dorian said proudly.

Wilhelmina and Magdalene looked at each other blushing, realizing that Dorian is referring to the night that they were both hooking around with the fondue dish.