Chapter 3 - Downfall

Everything is murky. Even though her eyes are closed, her other senses are heightened: Her mouth tastes acrid, her skin feels cold, and her ears hear a cacophony of numerous different noises: a sharp ringing in her eardrums, doctors and nurses scurrying to stabilize her condition, some clunking from equipment, and most of all the quick and unstable rhythm of her heart. Her eyes may be closed but she could feel how piercingly bright the room is. She felt hot tears flowing from the sides of her face. Dorian doesn't even realize the cold needle piercing through her chest, a couple of moments later her heart rate slowed down to its normal pace - she saw a perplexing vision:

A tall figure of a skeleton in a black shroud - Death, itself, its scythe ready to strike her.

But then a bright light shone and reveals the mysterious silhouettes of two looming figures, Dorian could make out as two women - waiting for her to come forward. Then the pitch-darkness took over.

When she woke up, it was already 9 AM. Dorian looked at herself and notices that she was no longer wearing her restaurant uniform but rather it is replaced by those loose, misshapen blue robes worn by hospital patients. Her nose has already been sharpened from a couple of years of sniffing various Vin-du-Pays - Dorian crinkles her nose due to the punchy smell of the air freshener inside her room.

“Ah! You're finally awake!” Dorian looked at the door and saw her manager, Mr. Marguilles bringing her a tray of food. “You need to gobble up a bit.” He said.

“What happened?” Dorian asks. Her food tray consists of a piece of banana, some buttered carrots, peas, a small pile of mashed potatoes - which she could tell has been already aerated by the room temperature for too long, and some watery, tasteless soup. Such a meal is one of the many reasons why Dorian is not fond of hospitals.

“You had a heart attack in the middle of the job.” The older sommelier said calmly.

Suddenly images of the previous events came flooding back to Dorian's memory: It was 8 pm at the Wassabasco, she was serving a rich, semi-sweet Grenache for a fine businesswoman on her casual dinner when she felt the sharp pain in her chest - Then she passed out.

“Dorian...The head of the Wassabasco talks this morning...” Mr. Marguilles said.

Dorian's face paled, she immediately put two-on-two on what was about to happen.

“But- this is the only thing I do for a living,” Dorian said.

“There must be something we can do Mr. Marguilles. I've been an outstanding employee for the last couple of years!”

“I know, Dorian,” Mr. Marguilles said in an almost relaxed manner: “But they already agreed that the Wassabasco cannot risk another public scene in front of the finest guests in the city, especially when they said that the restaurant has a reputability to protect,” He added.

“I am so sorry, Dorian. Neither do I (put his hand on his chest) wouldn't want this to happen,” Mr. Marguilles said looking at Dorian sympathetically.

“I think it's indeed unfair!” The man added.

Dorian only nodded silently...

The truth is Mr. Oliviér Marguilles, the Master Sommelier of the Wassabasco doesn't care if Dorian got sacked. He is an old "green-eyed" traditionalist, and the presence of someone so young and skilled as Dorian Amsel threatens him. Dorian Amsel is a ridiculously fast learner with natural, heightened senses. Marguilles spent nearly 30 years mastering the craft of the vine. Becoming a sommelier takes grueling hours of studying every single bottle of plonk in the cellar, tens of thousands of flashcards, early mornings and late nights, memorizing and reciting, blind-tasting, and study sessions. The same can be said for the work it takes to become a producer of wine. To be a winemaker requires you to be half scientist and half artist; part agriculturalist, and 100 percent perfectionist.