Do you really mean it?

'Please don't go' I thought as I gave my girl a look of fear and uncertainty. She couldn't go and leave; we were always together. When my pleading didn't work, I charged toward the door and lay across the bottom, blocking the door and preventing my girl from going anywhere. She slowly walked up to me and reassuringly placed her hand on my shoulder. "It's OK boy. I'll be back at break to see you. Until then, you and Breeze can get to know each other and have some fun. That's my boy!" She kissed my head and I reluctantly moved away from the door. Seconds later my girl had gone and I was left in the corridor, alone.

Hearing the sound of paws behind me, I turned around to see Breeze walking toward me. She had a calming expression on her face that made me feel instantly more relaxed. "Don't worry Storm, she's just gone to her lessons. Why don't we go down to the dog park for the day and you can meet some of the other dogs". I nodded my head, opened the door and walked out with Breeze, making sure to close the door after us.

We made our way idly through the 'Lassie' dorm, chatting casually the whole time. Breeze told me what it was like for her last year when she had first come to the school, as scared and confused, but also as excited as I was now. Her knowledge of the day-to-day running of life here comforted me greatly.

The sun was still quite low in the sky as we left the dorm building and made our way across campus, heading for the dog park on the far corner of the campus. I was given the perfect opportunity to see the place and find out a bit more about my new home "before we head to the dog park, do you think you could show me around the place? It would be great to see the whole campus". I asked Breeze who was trotting quite contentedly by my side. She turned to face me, "Of course I'll show you round. I know all the best places on campus. Come on, this way!" She veered off sharply to the right and I found myself running to catch up to her.

After catching up to Breeze, I saw that directly in front of us was the flyball courses. There were two lines of 4 jumps with a box, already loaded with a tennis ball, at the end of the lines. I loved doing flyball. Beside agility it was one of my favourite things to do. Breeze seemed to sense my excitement and gently nudged my shoulder. "You wanna have a go. I bet I can beat you!" My eyes twinkled with mischievous acceptance to the challenge set before me by my new room mate. We ran to the entrance and warmed ourselves up.

"OK, so first one to run down, pick up the ball and cross over the line first wins. Ready, set.... GO!" We both charged forward with such speed that two tufts of grass flew backwards under the force of our acceleration. We were neck and neck as we hurtled over the row of 4 white jumps and headed toward the black ball box at the end. After grabbing the ball, I performed a 180 degree turn, propelling myself off the box and running once more back over the jumps. Breeze, who had performed a much tighter turn, was on her last jump. I had lost the race. Boy, she was fast! "Breeze, that was amazing!" I exclaimed. She merely smiled and turned to exit the enclosed ring. I followed seconds later.

We continued on our walk and Breeze showed me 'the block'. This is where all the treatment for the dogs took place. It had a vet surgery, hydrotherapy pools and treadmills, a physiotherapy centre and a sports medicine therapy centre. Next to 'the block' was a doggy day-care centre where dogs that required attention throughout the day could go and have supervision all day. Thankfully I didn't need that sort of treatment.

Next we visited the barn where the training for roles on television took place. They did training for all roles including stunt dog training, acting and modelling. I had appeared in the paper before after having to perform a modelling job for a bandana company but this was like nothing I had ever seen before!

We briefly walked past the working trails field but neither of us took part in it so we didn't really have an interest in it. In the far corner of the campus was an indoor dog park. It was closed because it was summer and they didn't want dogs running around inside all day. Breeze told me that it was really fun though and in the winter when it opened up again, we would have to go.

We continued to make our way through the campus, crossing the main drive and heading toward the agility fields. They had 4 rings set up; 2 indoors and 2 outdoors. Like the flyball ring, we were allowed to use the ring as long as we were competent and able to complete all the equipment. Breeze and I both were so we headed to one of the indoor rings. She turned to me. "Show me what you can do then, hot-shot. You've been the talk of the school since someone found out you were coming here. Apparently you won Crufts the first year you went there." With that she trotted off, back out the ring, to make sure she stayed out my way.

I quickly planned out a fairly basic course in my head. Only a few jumps, a rigid tunnel, flat tunnel and weaves. Sitting a few strides away from the first jump, I mentally readied myself and imagined my girl with me, guiding me around the course. I pictured her saying the word and sprung forward, reaching my top speed in only 4 strides.

The first 3 jumps easily became more distant behind me as I soared over each one perfectly. Racing through the easily curved rigid tunnel, I was in the perfect position for an easy weave entry. After leaving the weaves in my dust, I raced on even faster toward the flat tunnel and the jump that would finish my textbook clear round. Slowing myself down to a trot, I approached Breeze who was left standing by the entrance, mouth agape, tail left hanging. She was speechless! "Come on then Breeze, show me what you can do".

She shook her head, turned around and walked out of the agility fields, a look of sorrow covering her usually bubbly face. Had I said something wrong? I knew I needed to follow her. I headed out of the agility field, looking around for any sign of my room mate. Nothing... Scanning the surrounding area more closely, I spotted her shiny brown and white fur glimmering in the sunlight and instantly ran after her. She was sitting under a giant oak tree that lined the driveway running up to the main school.

I could see how distraught she was before I even saw her face. Her body language was clear enough. I was slightly unsure how to handle the situation I had found myself in. Before I had a chance to work out how to handle things, Breeze turned to face me. "I'm sorry Storm. It's just, seeing you out there, looking so 'at home' on the course, it made me realise that I won't stand a chance against you. My owners have always put so much pressure on me and my girl to do well. Agility never came naturally to me, and when my owner sees that I'm not as good as one of the other dogs in the class..." She trailed off her speech. I already knew what was coming next though. She would end up being sold, leaving her girl heart-broken and her, no doubt, being passed from home to home until she ended up in care.

"Let me help you". The abruptness of my proposition surprised even me. She looked at me expectantly, a hint of relief and fear mixed in there as well. I continued. "We could come out here during the day when our girls are at school. I could help you, give you advice. I'm not the best, not by any means, but I'm sure I could give you some help. If you want that is". She continued to stare at me. After 2 minutes I couldn't take it anymore. "Breeze, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to insult you. Just pretend I never said anything".

"D...do you really mean it? Will you really help me? I'd love that, really. You didn't insult me, sorry you thought that. I just can't believe that you would help me. You hardly know me".

"Why don't we make a start now. The tour can wait. We still have a few hours before we need to be back at our dorm. What'd you say, huh?" She looked at me and smiled; a genuine smile that sent a wave of heat through my body. We headed back toward the agility field, side by side.