The Great Escape pt.1 - And so it begins

This chapter is dedicated to tannahill_zoo for the two new dogs in this chapter, Nugget and Natcho, and for the votes!

-------------------------------------------

Breeze's PoV
Darkness. It was all around me, consuming me. Everywhere I looked, there was nothing but pure darkness. It was unnerving to say the least. I longed for nothing more than to be back at the show, safely cuddled up next to Storm on our bed in the van.

I knew that whatever I was in was moving; quite fast from what I could tell. I think that scared me more than anything else. I had no idea where I was, or where I was going.

The container I was in bumped and jerked me around as the road beneath became rough and in total disrepair. I was throw continuously against the cold, metal walls of my inescapable captor, something that made me feel sick and increasingly jittery as I thought about the heartless person who would do this.

No sooner than I had let out an indignant bark, the container stopped throwing me around and we became stationary. I had never been as scared as I was now; what, I feared, was going to happen to me?

A strong bright light momentarily blinded me as the door of the container was opened. Standing, almost silhouetted by the light, was none other than Jake. I involuntarily shivered at the sight of him; it was a shiver of disgust though, not one of fear. I was almost sure he was only using me as bait so that he could lure Storm here.

As I huddled defensively in the back corner of the metal box, a small yet powerful growl rumbled deep in my throat. It was a warning growl. Jake took a step back and another man took his place. In the man's hands was a long pole, a lead in an 'O' shape at the end.

The lead was put around my neck after a struggle on my part and I ended up being dragged out of the box due to my unwillingness to go anywhere near the scum stood behind the man. I could indistinctly hear Jake talking to the man holding the lead. He turned away from Jake, gave me a small pat on the head and kindly asked me to go with him. I took a tentative step forward, much to the man's delight. He almost squealed when I took even the smallest step forwards.

"Come on, girl... There's a good girl... Not much further now, we're nearly there... You're going to be sharing a kennel with two other dogs, I hope you don't mind...?"

"Stewart, are you talking to those blasted dogs again?", a voice echoed down the dimly lit corridor we were walking down. It startled me slightly so I quickly led down on the damp floor through fear. The tie around my neck loosened considerably, a hand found it way onto my head.

"Come on girl. I promise we're nearly there. It's just on the end of the row", a soothing voice told me. For some reason, I trusted this 'Stewart'.

I shakily got back up onto my feet and we continued down the row of vacant kennels. As Stewart had promised, we swiftly got to the end of the block where he left me in a rather spacious, airy kennel.

'This doesn't seem so bad. At least I can stay in some comfort until I'm rescued', I though, my spirits beginning to rekindle. Nose to the floor, I set off to explore my new, temporary home.

I had taken only one step forwards when a swoosh sound filled the kennel. A hatch at the top end of the run had been opened, two pairs of eyes were looking through the opening. For the second time in only a few hours, I feared deeply for my life.

As one pair of eyes came closed to the opened hatch, I saw that they belonged to what I would have said was Collie. The mysterious dog continued crawling through the hatch and I saw that it was indeed a Border Collie Cross. The collie looked at me, head tilted, tongue lolling out. I giggled indistinctly at the expression on its face.