Nervous?

The rest of the week flew by. As we expected, our agility lessons were all tough and challenging to help us prepare for the show that was tomorrow. Neither Breeze not I had seen anything of Jake in the past week and we didn't know whether to be glad or suspicious. The only thing we were worrying about now though was the show we were at tomorrow.

I lay awake and glanced at the clock on the microwave from my bed. It read 2:37; too early. I didn't know why I was so nervous; this was nothing compared to Crufts. Maybe I was just tired of everyone always expecting me to do well. Everyone except my girl. She always told me to just have fun and I appreciated it.

The rest of the school however put so many expectations on me that it had made me always feel the need to succeed in the sport. I let out sigh which unfortunately woke the sleeping body laying peacefully next to me. Breeze stretched and turned to face me.

"Nervous?" She questioned. Without looking at her I nodded slightly. "Me too...". This time I looked her in the eye; her beautiful coffee brown eyes. Breeze sat up a little and affectionately nuzzled my neck. "Everything will be alright Storm. Just wait and see". How I wished she was right.

Breeze fell back asleep not long after. She always looked so peaceful sleeping and it was a lovely thing to see. I however struggled to fall asleep. What seemed like an eternity after Breeze nodded off, my eyelids began to feel heavy and I stole one last glance at the clock; 4.45. My girl would be getting up soon as we needed to leave for the show by 6. This was going to be a long day.

-------------------------------------------

Beep beep, beep beep

Ugh, it couldn't be time to get up already, I'd only just fallen asleep. I knew that I had been wrong to fall asleep for fifteen minutes; I was now more tired than if I hadn't slept at all.

I shook out my fur and stood up to stretch my groggy limbs. Next to me, Breeze was doing the same. We both muttered a quiet 'good morning' before heading off to in separate directions; Breeze heading towards Lily's room and me to my girl's.

The door opened with a creak revealing my girl in a frantic state trying desperately to get everything we would need today. I thought I would help by picking up some of my toys and placing them in the familiar yellow Dogs Trust bag. My girl walked over to me and ruffled the fur on my head with her palm.

"Hey bud, you looking forward to the show? It would be great to make it to Olympia wouldn't it?"

I nodded in response and gave my girl the 'puppy-dog' look. She laughed gently and slowly reached in to her pocket to reveal my favourite treat; Deli Bakies stars, bacon and cheese flavour!

"You have to work for it, you know that. Ok Storm....stick 'em up!"

I rocked myself backward to push all my weight on my haunches and raised my front legs. I was now sat in a begging position awaiting my next command. I could see my girl positioning her hands in the shape of a gun and pointing her outstretched fingers at me.

She made a sound like a gun firing and I fell backwards on to the floor. Already knowing what was coming next, I wagged my tail.

"Dead dogs don't wagg their tails Storm", my girl started, my tail stopped wagging. "And dead dogs don't breath", she finished. I was already prepared for that sentence and took in one last gasp of air before nothing. My eyes were closed and body completely still; the perfect dead dog.

"Ok bud, here you go", my girl said as she tossed me the treat. It tasted heavenly and I licked my lips hoping for another. Neither of us knew we had been watched the whole time.

"How do you do it Poppy?" Lily's voice filled my ears. She was smiling, a look of confused amusement covered her face. "Just how? It's incredible!"

My girl shrugged modestly and muttered an inaudible sentence. Lily shook her head and went back to her room.

We continued packing (well, I just sat on her bed while she packed) until Lily popped her head round the door again, this time to let us know she and Breeze were ready. A moment later my girl was ready too so we all headed down to grab a quick bite to eat before we met the others at the agility rings.

It was 5.50 when everyone going to the show were grouped together. Mr.Griffiths stood up on a box, counted us all and proceeded in telling us our traveling arrangements. In total, seven students were going; the four from my class and three I had never met before. The other three all ran small or medium dogs though so we wouldn't be competing against them at the show.

The arrangements involved two vans; one able to hold four people and the other able to hold five. It was decided that we would travel up as the group from our class and the other three would go together in the other van. All the bags were piled into the back and us dogs were secured in to the travel crates fitted in place in the very rear of the vehicle. As there were only two crates and four dogs, I shared with Breeze while Elvis and Cooper were together in the other one.

The engine rumbled in to life and we were off, just beginning our two hour journey to the show ground. The other three dogs with me all fell asleep within the first half an hour of travelling. I however, did not. There was a horrible feeling in the back of my mind that there would be trouble today and it made me feel incredibly uneasy.

I just sincerely hoped I was wrong.