29:00 | the way he smiles

ACE STUMBLES to the kitchen and flips on the light

ACE STUMBLES to the kitchen and flips on the light. We both let out our relief when light fills the room.

"So..." I rub my hands, desperate to say something. Anything. "Zion's cool."

"Yeah," Ace agrees with the softest smile. But Lord. The way he smiles.

It crinkles my toes.

It makes water out of my organs.

It reduces me to a fawning, helpless thing, gaping right back at him—hoping for more.

Ace walks a slow circle around the room, as if we're an actual couple that just moved into the place.

I watch, amused.

"What's he doing?" Peewee asks.

I tilt my head, ready to parrot my dead friend. "What're you doing?"

Ace stops and looks back. A sheepish grin forms. "Sorry, I was looking for spiders. If you ever want to see a grown-ass man scream...." He begins to chuckle.

I laugh, folding my arms. "Like what we talkin'? On a scale of one to ten."

"Oh, definitely a fifteen. I don't play with those eight-legged freaks."

"Oh my gosh!" Peewee doubles over into laughter, fists slamming into the cushions. "He's adorable, Devy! Marry him or I will."

Chuckling, I shake my head. "Wow. You've gotta be, what? 6'5?"

"6'4. Do you think this place has Raid?"

"Damn, you really are scared." I chuckle harder. "Don't worry, I got you. I've been known to handle a bug or two."

He actually relaxes at this and it makes me laugh even harder.

After I've rid myself of all giggles, Ace takes a seat on the couch, almost on top of the girl he's accused of murdering. She scrambles away just in time, probably not eager to take possession of him.

"You're welcome to sit here, too," he offers.

"Nah, I'm good." I don't plan on staying.

The silence eats at us both. He twiddles his thumbs. I blink down at my sandaled feet.

Peewee jumps up and starts to pace, muttering ideas and next steps. It isn't long before she's barking orders. But I ignore her, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

"I'm confused," Ace says suddenly. "Crawley seemed convinced that you would know how to prove my innocence."

I swallow. My nerves start to tick, particularly in my temples.

"But you don't seem to know anything more than I do," Ace continues. "Why would he direct me to you? How do you know him?"

Peewee stops pacing and grants me her sympathy. "Devyn..." she hesitates. "I think it's best you tell him."