INSTANT REPLAY | the party

THE ONLY thing weirder than returning to a crime scene twice in the same day is that I'm far more nervous the second time

THE ONLY thing weirder than returning to a crime scene twice in the same day is that I'm far more nervous the second time. I can't shake the feeling burrowing into my gut and the closer Peewee and I draw to the bathroom, the worse the apprehension grows.

Peewee is feeling it, too. Once again she is quiet. But at least this time I understand why. She really thinks she deserved whatever happened to her.

When my hand wraps around the bathroom knob, I look back. "You ready?"

"Just open it before I run again."

I twist the knob and the same horror scene as before comes into view.

Peewee's dark-lined eyes take everything in and I notice she's gripping the edge of the door frame. Like actually gripping it. Which means her emotions are incredibly strong, giving her the ability to reach the tangible. Maybe if I concentrate my energy enough, I can reach into her world too.

We both step in cautiously—me tiptoeing over each red flag. I force myself to pay close attention to the pull. And sure enough it summons me to the edge of the tub. As soon as I near it, the magnetic tug switches to a low buzz, as if confirming I've landed in the right place.

"That's where I woke up," Peewee murmurs. "My body was hanging over the tub, floating in water."

"I'm feeling the energy here."

Peewee shudders. "Dev..."

"Yeah?"

"I'm scared," she whispers. "I've never been scared of anything."

"I'm right here with you. You won't walk through this alone."

"I know." She closes her eyes. "You're the only reason I'm willing to face this. If I had to do it alone..."

I reach out to touch her hand before I remember that I can't. My hand slips right through Peewee's but the gesture brings a small smile to her features.

"I got you," I say instead.

These are the same words Ace whispered to me earlier and they instantly melt away that dark anxiety I'm having. Because I mean them with every inch of me. And because in some crazy way, the three of us have become a unit—our own kind of family. Ace, Peewee, and I are bonded in a way we will never forget no matter what happens next.

"Okay." Peewee nods. "Ready."

I dig into my purse and pull out a bottle of Eucalyptus. I rub oil over my temples, around my neck, and chest. The earthy mintiness immediately fills my nose. Each breath I take awakens my senses more. The low hum in my stomach becomes intense, like little vibrations.

I give one last look at the sad ghost standing before me and let her image soak my mind.

I close my eyes.