23:00 | aiding 'n abetting

I LIGHTLY trace my finger over the trail of emerald bruises along my jawline, staring myself down in the mirror

The memory of that night returns at full force and I close my eyes, reliving it. I see me holding up my hands, tryin' to explain to the cops my story. Then I feel the pain of them pounding me into the ground, chin first.

The shower washes the dirt and grime away from the holding cell, but I wish it could wash away the memories. Since I didn't sleep much, I look worn and empty. Doesn't help that my morale is low. Like way low. Abby's video plays on repeat in my head. Her betrayal will haunt me until I climb myself out of this hole—if I climb out of this hole.

Tick tock, goes the clock.

In an hour, Devyn will be here to pick me up for Peewee's vigil. I hunted her down on Instagram and sent her a coded message. We've been cautiously texting since. But I wish I had clean clothes to wear and some cologne. Not that cologne is a necessity in the grand scheme of things. It's just a habit I developed around pretty girls I guess.

There's a three-tap knock on the door, causing me to tense.

"It's me."

I breathe out relief. Uncle Maurio.

The second I unlock the door, he sweeps inside with his oldest daughter, Kaycee. They quickly shut the door and I notice they're carrying mops and buckets. When Kaycee sets her bucket down, I see all sorts of supplies inside. Rolled up t-shirts, boxers, and microwaveable mac 'n cheese to name a few.

"I didn't want her involved in this but my oldest daughter is stubborn as hell," Unc grumbles.

I haven't spoken to my cousin in years but she wears the same irritated face as Unc, rolling those deep umber eyes. "Daddy, I'm only as stubborn as you are and it didn't take me long to figure out that you are aiding and abetting Ace. So how long before the police catch on? Admit you need me."

I hold out my hand, smiling. "It's been too long, cuz."

She ignores my hand and pulls me into a hug, encasing me in a sugary vanilla scent. "Far too long, Lil Wally."

When she releases me, I grin down at her. "I ain't so little no more."

"Grow legs all you want but I'm still six years older and smarter than you."

I laugh. "Fair enough."

Uncle Maurio drops his mop and hands me his supply bucket. "How's it going? Any news from that friend who claims she can help?"

I take the bucket and dump its contents on the kitchen counter, sighing. I haven't told him too much about Devyn. He doesn't even know her name. But I feel a tinge of guilt because I think my uncle thinks this friend is some kind of private eye—which is a huge stretch from what Devyn really is, to say the least.

Still, Devyn's secret isn't mine to tell.

"I'm doin' alright. And unfortunately, she's still looking into things."

I can tell they want more details but I gotta keep things vague. There's no way I can tell Uncle and Kaycee that I'm going to sneak out tonight and risk everything. They'll just talk me out of it and say I'm crazy. Which may be true too. But if Peewee's killer goes to her vigil, then that means this whole nightmare will soon be over. For now, the less they know, the better. I already feel rotten enough for asking them to hide me.

Kaycee shrugs. "These things take time, right? In the meantime, I submitted an application to Ben Crump. His office is reviewing your case."

"Ben Crump? That famous lawyer bruh?" I fall back on the couch again. "There's no way I can afford him."

"He does pro bono, fool. You think we got money to spare?" Kaycee laughs, pushing me over so that she can sit next to me. "But real talk, cuz. If Crump doesn't take this case and your friend still hasn't found any evidence, then we should probably discuss next steps."

I swallow, anxiety drilling its hole. "Yeah, I'll need to turn myself in."

Uncle explodes with a "Hell naw!" at the same time Kaycee flicks her long pressed hair back.

"Don't be stupid," she adds. "We know you didn't do this."

My eyes round on her. "But I can't let you guys keep risking your freedom for mine. It ain't fair."

"Tough cookies," Kaycee says. "We're family and that's what family do. We stick it out with each other—through thick and thin."

"Thick and thin," Uncle echoes.

My throat clenches and I gulp down the soreness. After absorbing hours of hate online, their loyalty is the boost of morale I need. 'Course, the last thing I should do is sob like a baby in front of my tough-as-shit cousin.

"You guys have no idea what that means to me."

"You my brother's son," Unc says. "I'd do anything for yuh."

"But all those dinner invites I ignored over the past two years...I kept telling myself I was too busy but I was actually afraid of being reminded of Dad. I miss him."

Kaycee takes my hand while Uncle comes around and pats my back. For a moment we just breathe and sit in the sadness.

"I'm sorry my brother can't be here, Ace."

I draw a breath. "He sort of is, though. Through you guys."

Kaycee squeezes my hand. Then she stands up and retrieves the supply bucket she brought in and starts setting the items on the counter. "I should probably sneak out first, Daddy. After a few minutes, follow. But remember that if anyone asks, we're just fixing up the place for the new renters."

Uncle nods, but the idea of a neighbor alerting the police twists my guts to the point of dread. "Is there already a suspicious neighbor or something?"

"No, not my tenants," Uncle replies, sure. "No one snitches in this complex. We all know what it's like to be targets of police 'round here."

"Daddy's right. Desert Cove is about as tight as it gets," Kaycee says. "But let's still be cautious, 'kay? Don't answer the door unless it's us. Don't step outside, even if it's dark out. Cool?"

I nod, guilt stabbing my conscience. I know the risk in attending this vigil tonight, but I have to go. I can't just sit around and worry over Devyn as she confronts a murderer alone.

"Bye Lil Wally," Kaycee says, popping my bubble of thought. She winks, and before I can say anything back, dips outside with the mop and bucket in tow. Her face as cool as a cucumber. The epitome of badass.

My uncle steps in front of me with his arms crossed. "So now you got some fresh clothes and more food. Need anything else?"

"Nah, I'm more than good. Thank you."

"Let's get your physical needs taken care of first and then we'll worry about everything else. One step at a time—that's how we get through this." He peeks out the front window. "Okay, I guess I'm up. I'll check on you in the morning. You cool until then?"

"Yeah, of course." Just as my uncle hits the door, I can't keep myself from saying, "Wait. I do have one question." I take a deep breath as he turns back around. "Have you heard anything from my mom? Is she doin' alright?"