01:00 | the right thing

THE MOMENT I tear through the door, there are no thoughts—only action

I use my legs to launch myself at Ben and then I unleash months of strength training into his face. To my relief, Devyn takes in a huge gasp of air as I pummel Ben to the floor.

And this is when my thoughts start to catch up with my actions. I'm feeling so much anger and resentment for Ben Perry, I just might fuckin' kill the dude.

Devyn suddenly crouches next to me, softly wrapping her arms around my shoulders. "It's okay." She rests her head against my back. "It's okay."

The gentleness of her voice, the warmth of her presence—they're what free me from the revenge. I take a deep breath, releasing the murderer. Ben groans as his head thumps against the carpet.

"Thank you," Devyn murmurs into my chest.

Words can't express how relieved I am that she's okay, so I envelop her in a hug, lifting her up from the floor. "I almost didn't make it in time."

"But you did." As I set her back down, she wipes away her tears. "Peewee is singing your praises, by the way."

I cock my head. "Oh yeah? Well I ain't mad about that."

"How did you find us?"

"My boy Owen lives in this dorm. I paid him a visit and after the initial fear and shock wore off, he told me which room I could find Ben."

"Oooh." She lifts up on her tiptoes to kiss me. "You risked everything by coming here."

"I wasn't about to let you face a killer on your own."

Below us, Ben repositions into sitting; he pulls himself up so that his back rests against the desk. And outside the siren whoops get closer. Police will be here any minute.

"This is the clown that spoke at Peewee's vigil?" I ask.

Devyn nods, crossing her arms. "Yes."

Ben sends a hostile look to us both, spitting blood. "You guys don't have anything on me."

Devyn's gaze hardens. "Peewee's teeth marks are in your skin. Not only that but you just tried to kill me, asshole."

"You have no idea what it was like," Ben says with resignation, lowering his head. "Watching someone snatch up every single thing you've ever wanted and then flaunting it in your face every single day." 

Devyn shakes her head. "Peewee says you've got some nerve making this about you when you're the one that took her life! The reason you feel like a victim is because—"

"Hey." I relax my palm on the small of Devyn's back. And I'm not sure if I'm going to regret saying what I'm getting ready to say but Peewee is the true victim outta all of this. At the end of the day, I can clear my name and move on but this is the end of the road for her. "Tell our girl that she can speak through me."

Devyn's lips part. "Ace—"

"Clearly she's got words to say and since we've both been affected by homeboy's actions, it makes the most sense for her to speak through me. Whatever she's gotta say, she needs to say it."

There is quiet for a moment, meaning Peewee is probably saying something to Devyn. Then Devyn says, "She appreciates your offer but doesn't want to risk her Peace."

"Call it a hunch but if I'm granting her permission to possess me, I don't think it's the same type of thing. My theory is she won't darken at all from this."

Devyn looks awed by this idea. Her mouth falls open as the revelation hits. Even she knows I make a good point.

Nodding, she appears to give the go ahead to Peewee. "She's going to jump into you. Are you ready?" 

I stretch my arms out, waiting. I know my decision is the right thing. "Yes."

What feels like an icy blast of air racks my entire nervous system with shock. My vision threatens to go black but I push through the pain, toughing it out so that I don't lose awareness.

But everything becomes so frigid that it feels like I'm standing in the middle of the Antarctic...naked. And Peewee's dominant presence starts to push me out. Soon, it feels like I'm simply just drifting to sleep.