16:00 | aunt atheena

I VISIT Canyon Springs Hospital the following hour, a stack of nerves building inside me like Legos

I take a seat at a small empty table, a stack of wildlife puzzles on the side. Then I place a pile of napkins underneath our cups of melting chocolate gelato while I wait for her.

The mid-afternoon sun casts a filtered glow across the communal hall. Two patients play a silent chess game in the corner while another—a redheaded woman—paces the stretch of the hall, humming. The nurses run to and fro, administering meds.

The last time I saw Aunt Atheena was Christmas Eve and Dad prattled on about work while she stared listlessly at his shoes. There's this unspoken understanding that she's never forgiven the family for hospitalizing her as a teenager. Since then, her life has been a series of check-ins and check-outs of various behavioral facilities.

And somehow I have to gather the courage, look her in the eye, and confess that she isn't the only one who sees spirits.

To calm my nerves I think of him: Ace. I think of his lips pressing against my skin and how fucking good it felt to bask under his desire. How our fingers intertwined in tandem. How harmonious his tongue moved with mine.

The sound of shuffling feet chases away all lustful thoughts. The minute my aunt turns the corner, she almost collides into the pacing woman. They mumble their apologies before Atheena heads for me. She looks genuinely pleased to see me.

"Devyn," she greets.

"Hey Ti." I call her Ti (pronounced like Tee and short for auntie).

I stand to hug her. Her embrace is comforting and she smells like a Dove soap bar. Eventually we take seats across from each other. It's been a minute since I've seen her natural afro.

"I was thrilled to get your text," she begins. "Your dad visits too much on his own."

A tinge of guilt hits. I should've come with Dad to visit after Christmas, but I hate seeing her in places like this. It makes me wonder how long before I end up here with her.

"Yeah, I feel bad about that. Daddy says you're doing real good, though. He says they're releasing you soon?"

She smiles proudly. "The goal is two weeks from today. I'm ready for it, Lord knows." She blinks down, smiling. "You brought me gelato?"

"I did. Couldn't visit you without a celebratory treat." I pick up my spoon as soon as she does. We both take a few bites, letting the creamy coolness satisfy our souls.

"This is delicious, Dev. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

The redheaded woman lets out a frustrated moan, pacing faster. I grip my spoon. My aunt grits her teeth.

When the moaning settles, Atheena breathes out, taking another bite of her gelato. "So, to what do I really owe the pleasure? Is everything okay at home?"

"Home? Oh, yeah. Everything's fine."

"Oh, Dev..." Aunt Atheena casts a wary look before leaning in. "Are you pregnant?"

My cheeks inflame. "No! Why does everyone think that? Damn."

"Then why are you here?" She blinks.

I try to find the words to speak but my tongue is glued to the roof of my mouth. My heart beats wildly between my lungs.

"Dev?" Atheena tilts her head, concern growing. "What's wrong?"

I lick my lips, willing myself to talk. "I-I...uhm, well..." I cough away some phlegm. "So—"

"AHHHHHHHH!"

We both jolt from the erupting noise. My aunt and I turn our heads to the redheaded lady, screaming at the flat screen TV. After her cry dials back down to a mournful hum, she paces again.

By the time I look back at Atheena, she's staring at me in a whole new way—her mouth open.

"What?"

"You can see her too, can't you?" she asks with astonishment. "The spirit?"

And here it is. The moment of truth. I bite down on my bottom lip, nodding.