seven

If the girl had a dollar for every fuck she gave, she would live in poverty for the rest of her life. She was never one to consider one's feelings before she did the things she did because she simply didn't care.

Perhaps that's why she had skipped school to break into Alex Rider's house. It wasn't at all hard, not when they kept a spare key under the potted plant in front of the door to the house. Was the Rider family a house of spies or a house of imbeciles? As the days bled on, she became less and less sure of the first and more and more sure of the latter.

She had made sure to go at a time when Alex would be at school and his nanny jack would be at work. When she had first gone to Alex's house to go work on their project together she had scanned every inch of the downstairs to make sure there weren't any hidden cameras, she didn't get to spend as much time as she had wanted in there so she could be 100% sure but at 99% she still likes her odds.

Besides, if the Rider residents were spies there would be more cons than pros to having cameras, being that yes, it could catch anyone who broke into their house such as her, but it would also monitor what they were doing and someone could possibly get their hands on that footage. Perfect Evidence. Perfect Blackmail. And it would have made her job a hell of a lot easier.

Once she had gotten into the house she researched every part of the bottom floor, making sure nothing was hidden from the visible eye but also making sure to put everything back up where it once was.

When she had gotten upstairs the first thing she check were the bedrooms, starting with Jack's. There was nothing in it, everything you would expect to be in an average woman's room, the girl didn't think that Jack was a part of MI6, she most likely knew about it and about Alex and wasn't a part of it herself, so she wasn't that concerned about her.

The next room was Alex's, when she walked in she did have to admit it was surprisingly clean for a teenage boy's room and it didn't smell bad either. It almost made it that much harder to search through his things. The only thing she found slightly interesting was his iPad, she looked through every nook and cranny of the device and found ultimately nothing, but just to make sure next time she would bring her laptop and download it to see if there was anything was encrypted.

When she was about to go into Ian Rider's room another one caught her attention, it was ordinary, looked different than no other in the hall beside the fact that it had a lock under the handle. Why would someone need to lock something if they had no secrets to hide?

She walked over to the door, inspecting it, she felt along the door frame to make sure the hinges weren't electronically activated. Kneeling she pulled her picks out of the soles of her shoes. She carefully placed the picks in the locks, she moved closer putting her head near her hands. Using trial and error, she pressed the small pins into place, hearing clicking sounds as confirmation she put the pin at the right height.

Right as the last pin clicked into place, she heard the door open downstairs. She froze, Jack must have come home early. Clenching her fist, she took the picks out of the lock causing it to close once again. The girl heard as Jack got closer and closer to the stairs.

Without having much choice she tiptoed over to the bathroom, she hid behind the door as Jack walked by humming. When she passed, the girl went over to the window, quietly unlocking it and pushing it open. Looking down she realized there wasn't anything for her to hold onto and she was going to have to jump.

Without a moment more hesitation, she hoisted herself up and jumped out of the window. She landed on the concrete in a squatting position, immediately felt pain shoot up her right ankle. She bit her tongue to strangle her cry. Oh god, that hurt.