eighteen

Alex Rider would say that he had pretty strong morals, enough to where he knew right from wrong. of course, sometimes the lines got blurred, but that came with his line of work.

His uncle Ian Rider was a good man, that's where he like to think he got his morals from. He took in a kid that wasn't his and treated him as his own. Sure, Ian was a bit emotionally distant, but he was a spy, and he had Jack for that.

Jack was always, kind, sweet, and supportive, and if he didn't get his morals from Ian he definitely got them from Jack. She was his remodel and mother figure, he'd even called her mum a few times on accident. She fit the role in every aspect of the imagination, he imagined she was a better mum than most mothers out there. Sometimes he wondered what it would be like if his parents were still alive, but if there was one thing he knew, it was that he wouldn't trade jack for the world.

Alex was inside the MI6 new headquarters, sitting inside Alan Blunt's office. They had called him and told him to come in earlier that morning and he had been there all day. He picked at the skin around his nails as he listened as Ms. Jones and Blunt talked amongst themselves.

He often found days like these boring, he would rather be out in the field taking action than sitting in an office arguing, getting nothing done. Jones and Blunt often had conflicting ways of going about things, but he supposed that was what made them a good team.

As much as he hated to admit it, Alex was a bad team player. He didn't like to compromise on things and he wasn't a fan of taking orders, his teachers would tell you that much.

Though he wasn't a big fan of school and often found himself bored. The school work was easy and the days were long, several teachers had recommended he skip a few grades ahead but he ultimately declined. As much as he didn't like school it was the only thing that made him feel normal, hating school was normal. Not being a trained spy.

"Did you get a good look at him?" Ms. Jone spoke, and Alex looked up from his lap, both Ms. Jone and Alan blunt were looking over at him and he realized she was speaking to him.

"Good enough, do you have a lead?" Alex sat up in his chair, suddenly interested in the conversation.

It had been a few months since the party but he still hadn't heard any news about the assassin that he met. He still wasn't sure why the assassin didn't kill him, they sure could have, they nearly did.

He had never fought someone the way they did, sure he sparred with a few MI6 agents but Alex never hit to hurt, the assassin hit to kill. Their fight played in his head on repeat, a lot of the night didn't make sense.

He didn't even think anything would have happened, he was only supposed to be there for backup, he had been to plenty of those high-scale parties. Government officials would often hire agents from MI6 to act as security and was where most new field agents started fresh out of training.

"Unfourtenly not, the cameras inside the venue weren't working that night. We asked the employees if they noticed anything that seemed off or if any males matched the description you gave and they didn't report anything that seemed out of the ordinary." Alan spoke.

Alex frowned "I don't think it's a boy, I think it's a girl." They both looked at him confused, his lip twitched before he continued "I saw her hair."

They both nodded and seemed to believe him, he wasn't sure why he lied, he had no reason to, but for some reason he wanted them to believe him.

Sure the assassin was taller than the average woman and had more muscle mass but he had a gut feeling that they were a girl, even though everything told him otherwise.

Alan looked down at his computer before he looked back to Alex "Go over that night again."

They both watched him and listened to him as he spoke. The night before one of the agents had contacted him and told him that he would act as backup for the party, he had taken off the second half of the day of school so he could get ready and prepare.