Chapter 1

Anthony

IT SEEMS THAT I AM DESTINED to just stick to Ian for the rest of my life, here in Dauntless. Never mind. I never want to blend in anyway.

Nor am I ever going to.

Ian's different. He's got loads of friends around him, boys and girls. They'd ask about his 'nerdy best friend' every time they throw a party in our dorm room. He'd laugh, so genuine that I doubt the necessity of my existence.

I'd walk out, pretending that I never hear him. Of course we're still BFFs. That's what he says.

I guess I should have just stayed in Amity.

I catch the moving train with a casual leap, the city now beneath my feet. A couple of lights are still on far beyond the Abnegation headquarters, these Erudite bookworms. I tilt my head, feeling as the train fades into the night.

Ian's probably searching for me in the hallways right now. Whatever. He already knows he's never gonna find me there.

I crouch at the doorway, shivering at the strong wind that howls around me as the train whizzes along.

Well, at least I still get his attention.

→→→

"Hey nerdy."

I look up from my artworks, staring as Ryan pulls the glass door open with a vigorous fling.

"Get me a tattoo?"

"Yeah." I reply feebly as he unpins a sample from the wall beside me, the corners of his lips twitching a little.

"You know, I still don't understand why the hell you chose Dauntless. You're so good at these stuff." he points at my drawings.

"Am I supposed to say thank you?" I snaps quietly, motioning him to take his seat.

"I want it on my arm." he pulls off his shirt, momentarily exposing his darkened skin and muscular figure. "Your boyfriend's looking for you, by the way."

"Um?" I retrieve my rotary needle.

"Your boyfriend, Hecox." Ryan repeats with impatience.

"Haven't been making out lately, have ya?"

I give him a stern look, ignoring the fact that I'm probably blushing so hard right now.

Ian? Looking for me?

"Mind your words, gentleman." I murmur with threat and he snorts with disdain, keeping his face perfectly blank as the needle touches his skin.

They all say Dauntless are brave, despicable. Not someone who plays with ink and art designs. I wipe the oozing blood off Ryan's arm and bandage it, pushing him out of the chamber.

Well. They do call me nerdy for some reason.

"Anthony?"

My heart throbs at the voice, but I keep it cool outside.

"Hey Ian."

"You look like you could use a party. You wanna come tonight?" he frowns and paces towards me, his cerulean eyes clearer than ever.

"No thanks." I wry my expression a little, trying my best to look at anything but him.

He sighs lightly, slapping my shoulder.

"Anthony...you know these Dauntless languages. They don't mean it."

"Still, my name is Anthony. Not nerdy." I put the sample aside in disgust.

"You can bring Kalel if you like."

I eye Ian with shock, my inside a sudden mess.

"Ian..." I squeeze my eyes shut, a twinge in my stomach.

"We already broke up."

"What? When?" Ian widens his eyes at me.

"Last year. November." I answer, drooping my head.

He spreads his hands in discontent. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"You were going through your worst too, man! I don't want to place another burden on your shoulder." I retort.

"But it's been a year!"

"And you still look hurt the every time I mention Melanie." I shoot back.

"Don't you dare bring her up!" Ian points at me and spits evenly, his body trembling in fury.

"And you, stop fussing around!" I bark angrily.

His breath quickens at my remark. I look away, pursing my lips.

"I guess I'll just..."

Ian glares at me as I walk out of the room in hurried footsteps, letting the door bang close behind me.

His eyes are bright red. I don't care. He should have known that every time we see each other, we fight.