Chapter 9

Anthony

HERE COMES THE ANNUAL FACTION CONFERENCE. Tedious event. I stand awkwardly at the midst of a scattered crowd, wavering occasionally as the train takes a wide turn and runs into the warm embrace of the descending sun.

I look around, my stomach twisting at the sight of Ian indulging himself in a deep conversation with Jenna and Felix. One week. Enough to wipe his memory and shape him back into the popular Ian who is always too busy to notice the little frown between my eyebrows.

Of course we are still BFFs. That's what he says.

I decide to look out of the opened door instead, as we clandestinely sneak into the Erudite region. My eyes soon drift to the Erudite heaquarters in curiosity, a myriad of iridescent lights furnishing the extravagant building.

The stiffs call these 'Erudite vanity'. Well. I can understand why now.

I lower my eyes with a tinge of sarcastic disdain, absently following as everyone else hop out of the train and climb downwards along the rusty ladder.

"Mari's left a message through Kalel." I break the taciturnity between me and Ian, who instantly turns his attention to me in slight amusement as we make our way through packs of bodies.

"We should be able to meet her in the Abnegation zone."

"Yeah, Kalel's dropped me a line earlier." I imitate as he lags towards the main entrance, the crowd slowly moving forward in sync.

"How are you two doing, by the way?"

"Both fine evidently, tha-"

"That's not what I mean and you know it." Ian smirks a bit as we start to explore the Amity zone.

I force a small reluctant smile, unaware of a deep sigh which manages to escape my lips.

"It's like lighting a wet match the every time I talk to her." I shrug a little, the piercing spotlight around leaving me utterly exposed.

"Sometimes you get that tired smile from her, though. And it makes you feel...so proud." I chuckle at the thought of her smiling face.

"Like having found another match in your pocket."

Ian puts on an ambiguous expression.

"You love her."

"I love her the way I love all of you." I retort.

"Sometimes so deeply that I ignore the fact that I am seldom loved back."

Ian stares blankly at me, a gust of unexplainable emotion flitting across his bewildered face. He widens his mouth a little, yet closing it almost immediately.

I purse my lips, muttering my apologies before heading straight to the Candor zone.

Me. Me who only makes the situation as awkward as possible.

→→→

So now they are making us sit in a overcrowded hall, listening to the endless mechanical reports by each faction representative. We're not as dumb. Most of the Dauntless's sneaked out, leaving a ridiculously hollow space at the center of the hall. Who cares, anyway.

We start cantering towards the Abnegation zone after an intense running from the main hall, no one's said a word as we make our way to an inconspicuous corner far from the crowd at which Mari stands with evident impatience alongside Flitz and Wes.

"Man, I miss you."

I walk over and wrap my arms around the two of them as Ian gives us a huge embrace from behind, soaking us in a warm tub of overwhelming memories.

"Alright, you love birds." Mari growls snappily from behind, her face dominated by false disgust.

Ian turns to squint at Mari, his crafty eyes glimmering with mischief.

"Oh, poor Mari feels left out."

"Look at that little jealous face." I add, winking at Ian as we both approach her with a powerful pounce to trap her between our arms.

"Fuck off, you sick little-" she struggles vigorously to break away but we only surrounds her tighter.

"Still jealous now, baby?" Ian pulls her into a light embrace for one last time before fully letting go, nodding at me as I gradually loosen my clasp around her.

"Just fuck off already! I fucking hate you guys." Mari chides, failing to suppress a chortle as she throws a friendly arm around me.

"Reunion time over, kids." Flitz remarks with a genial smile, showing us the tablet in his hands.

"Let's get to work now, shall we?"