Chapter 2

Anthony

I HATE THE DARE GAME. They either make me squeeze a girl's butt, or take off a guy's tank top. After I'm done flushing, they'd tell Ian to 'satisfy the nerdy's needs for he is super horny right now'.

What can I say? It's tradition.

Ian's sung a ridiculous song beside the chasm, a little bit tipsily. He's grinning so hard right now, and murmuring nonsense.

In hopes that he will deceive everyone else. Not me. It's my bad that I ever talk about Melanie after all.

Felix's eaten a crocroach, and Jenna's cut her hair short. Ryan's even licked an initiate's butt crack.

-these Dauntless-borns are deranged.

"Alright now, nerdy." I lift my head slowly at Ryan's chortling form, in his hands he holds a big bottle of rum.

"I dare you, to kiss Ian."

I stand rigidly, shivering as the crowd cheers and claps loudly. I see Ian tensing at the incessant calling of his name, his bloodshot eyes glimmering resentfully in the dark.

They push me forward so I am in front of him. I look around nervously, seeing nothing but a sea of beasts screaming out loud in random languages that I don't understand.

Screw it.

I lean forward, giving Ian a long peck on the lips.

His lips are cold, and kind of rough. After a brief moment or two, he backs away quickly with slight disgust, the frown between his brows becoming evident.

The crowd screech, a little bit too excitedly.

I glance at Ian. His cheeks are crimson red. I cup my face, feeling as the heat radiates through the gaps between my fingers.

"I dare you to leave with me." I face Ian and whisper, leading him through the pack of guffawing Dauntless.

"Just make out and have babies already!" a loud drunken voice calls as we disappear into the hallways.

→→→

I close the dorm room door behind me gingerly, careful not to make a sound. Ian leans against the wall with lingering abhorrence, his eyes darting to the floor.

"You still mad at me?" I try sheepishly and he shakes his head no.

"Thanks for saving me out there."

I sway uncomfortably, stiffening at the slight natural aroma that drifts across the narrow chamber, Ian's scent. The sole thing that hasn't altered throughout the years.

He was my best friend then, and we'd run along the Amity fields, experiencing the pride that built within us as the ladies' eyes followed our every movement in admiration. No one ever got mad at us anyway.

Dauntless's different. You've got mean jokes, mean aliases, and mean people who snatch your friend away from you for thrill. Maybe a nerd can get used to it. But a pop star just can't.

I stare at the ceiling, then Ian.

"You throwing a party tonight? I can go." I curl my fingers around the doorknob, struggling to keep my voice steady.

"No. Not tonight." Ian rests his weight on the wooden desk.

"Even if I do, you can just stay."

"I don't want to embarrass you." I confess, my palms sweating furiously in my pockets.

"Anthony!" he chides.

"This is our room. Your room. Not theirs."

"It's okay-" I reassure him but he cuts me off.

"No it's not!" he exclaims, irritated.

"And I don't even understand why you can ever forgive me for ignoring you forever and kissed me like you really meant it? It almost tasted real."

I swallow at his outburst as he locks his azure eyes with mine, a thousand of emotions swirling within them.

I let out a quiet sigh.

"Actually...I meant it." I mumble under my breath, my cheeks instantly burning.

I can feel his eyes on me as I turn the doorknob and scurry away like a complete loser, my brain an utter mess.

I love him, but not that way.

"Anthony!" he calls from behind, his panting apparent.

I close my eyes in defeat, my footsteps slowing.

He paces towards me timidly. "What were you saying, 'you meant it?'"

I clench my palms into fists in anxiety, my heartbeat quickening as he glances at me askance with doubt.

"Let's just pretend that we never have kissed." I murmur, urging myself to go without a last glimpse of his expression.

I rush to the roof in a flurry, fighting the desire to just break down and give in to my worst nightmares.

I jump as the train speeds along, colliding violently with the inner wall of a truck. I wince in pain, lying flatly on the floor in agony.

...and then it happens all over again.