Chapter 11

Anthony

HER BODY BECOMES STILL, and I dare not to ruin this serene moment. I urge myself to shield her in the comfort of my arms, but I retrieve them before I can do anything stupid.

"...I thought you're the kind of person who avoids arguments by all means necessary."

"I would have." she starts rolling up her sleeve with a wry expression, drawing my attention to her arm.

"But that...was literally fighting."

I stare at the bloody wound lying across her skin, denying the need to brush a finger or two across her cut flesh. This is seriously breaking my heart. Seriously.

"This son of a bitch." I curse.

"Actually he regretted it as soon as he hurt me." she hold her arms gently, examinating the wound.

"But I broke up with him anyway."

I watch as she puts down the empty bottle. "You make it sound like it's something really casual."

"It is casual to me." She bats her eyelids.

"I mean, he will come really early the next day. Apologize. Make it up to me." she smiles to herself.

"Done it a thousand times."

I just sit there staring at her, tilting my head a little in the process. There's something different about her tonight that is making me very uncomfortable. It makes me want to...push her freshly dyed hair back, stroke her flawless cheeks, and hold her face in my own hands.

I shake my head a little to push that feeling aside, listening in silence as my head condemns me in an exhorting manner for allowing such ridiculous thoughts.

She stands up from her crouching position on the staircase and grab the handrail, beginning to stagger upwards a little bit clumsily. I follow closely, my surroundings becoming significantly somberer as we continue to go up.

She finally stops at a certain floor, weakly pushing a red door open. I take a small shy peek, surprised to see how decent the dorm rooms look compared to the haunted staircase I just sat on that apparently needs fixing. It is quiet as hell in here, as expected.

She starts to slow down when we come across a lacquered wooden door at the far end. She then fumbles for the key inside her pocket nonchalantly before inserting it into the keyhole and turning it with ease. She was about to push the door open, but I grab her and pin her against the wall, earning an astonished gasp from her.

"So you're saying that you're single for tonight." I breathe, pressing my hands against both sides of the pale wall so she is trapped between my arms.

"What does that even mean?" she squeezes her eyes shut, beaming a helpless smirk.

I bring a hand to her shoulder, walking a step closer. There is scarcely any distance between us, as we watch the rise and fall of each other's chest in a brief moment of taciturnity.

"Why does it have to mean anything?" I caress her cheek gently with the back of my hand, my rationality buried beneath a thick layer of zeal. Too late. Too late to stop it now.

-and I allow it when her lips touch mine.