Chapter 3

Anthony

I CAN'T BREATHE. My surroundings are becoming blurrer, and I can't breathe.

I feel like floating, and underwater. My brain won't work at all, nor will it listen to my commands. I try to move, but my eyes won't open.

Anthony?

It feels as my heart is gonna jump out of my chest. I struggle to control my limbs, but something curbs my arms and torso from moving. I kick to break away, but it only surrounds me tighter.

You're gonna be okay. I promise.

I scream, out loud, before opening my eyes in hesitation.

I see a face, a concerned face. I shake my head vigorously to regain sanity, my body trembling as shattered memories frolic wildly inside my mind.

Right.

I look into the familiar pair of dark, soothing eyes, my panting gradually fading.

"Mari?" I utter weakly.

"It's over. You're good." she murmurs against my shoulder and pats my back gently.

I relax at her tender touch, pulling away from the embrace.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

She purses her lips and stands up in discontent, her features half concealed behind a thin curtain of brown black hair.

"Is that how you greet a friend?"

I widen my mouth a little. "You're not supposed to be on the trai-"

"I'm not." she chimes in.

"Why do you think I'm wearing all black?"

I squint at the sapphire outfit abandoned at the truck corner and the worn Dauntless outfit that fits her body flawlessly, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Where did you get that?"

"I got several factionlesses to lend me different Dauntless clothing idems." she utters with pride.

I stare at her nonetheless.

"You know these strict Erudite rules, they never allow us for midnight strolls." she explains snappily.

I lean back, my shins against my chest. "Where are you going?"

"My plan was to head to Dauntless. Warn you and Ian about something." she answers shortly.

"What is it?" I curse myself for sounding too curious.

She smirks a little. "Let's just wait until we get there."

I sit back, and she pops her head out to watch the city whoosh pass us, something she'll never get to try. I stare at her silhouette, reminiscences of the old days striking me in the head.

"You okay, by the way?" she mutters, giving me her back.

"Just terrified, as usual." I reply quietly.

"You hadn't been having those in years," she turns around a little in amusement.

"How was it triggered?"

I shrug, striving to sound casual. "They forced me to kiss Ian."

She grins slyly. "Seems like I've missed something."

"Stop it, Mari." I order feebly.

"Excuse me?" she shoots back in disdain.

"You wouldn't have recovered so quickly if I hadn't spot you here."

"It's just a stupid panic attack. I can deal with this myself." I retort.

"Just shut the hell up already Padilla, you know you can't." Mari satirizes. I can almost see her rolling her eyes at the moonless sky.

I chuckle lightly. "Amity courtesy, huh?"

She shurgs and turns to face me, picking up the corners of her lips.

"Long gone." she says with false innocence. I laugh a little, admiring her curves beneath the Dauntless tights.

She flips her hair unconsciously, a little bit too much for me to handle.

Everything's changing so fast, everything's gone far enough for me to ever reach.

And I'm still left behind.

I'm still fucking left behind.