12

"A sudden calming of the storm that has, along with the earthquakes, claimed dozens of lives has begun a slew of relief efforts across the country

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"A sudden calming of the storm that has, along with the earthquakes, claimed dozens of lives has begun a slew of relief efforts across the country. Efforts will focus upon searching for missing people and rescuing those who have found themselves cut off by the accompanying floods and collapsed housing.

Weather experts have found it difficult to predict the course of the storm and cannot rule out that this is only a short respite. Clouds still linger above the whole of the UK and threats of landslides and further damage to housing could hamper rescue efforts."

-+-

12

Three men stepped from the boat, onto the little dock, and stood there for some time, as though appraising their surroundings. Runa took the opportunity to rush upstairs and change into thick, warm clothing, while McAreavey finished his tea and set out to meet the men. As Runa tugged on her thick-knit jumper, she couldn't help but feel something about this was very wrong.

"Stay in the cottage." She raised a warning finger to both her children, ignoring Stigr's groan of disappointment. "We don't know who these people are. I want you to continue your studies. Stay here!"

As soon as she pulled on her Wellington boots and coat, Runa dashed out of the door, making sure it closed tight behind her and glared as she saw Hertha and Stigr poking their heads around the curtains. That glare forced them away from the windows, but she didn't doubt they would return to watch the events that were about to unfold.

She soon caught up to McAreavey, who stood like a wall, preventing the three men from leaving the beach. His hands rested in his pockets, but the old man wasn't as relaxed as he appeared. He looked like a child standing before the three men, each of whom stood well over six feet in height. Still, the old farmer remained determined and steadfast in the face of the three men.

"Gentlemen. How can we help you?" She came to stand beside McAreavey, his big sideburn whiskers almost bristling as he looked up at the men before him. "This is a private island."

"It's nothing to worry about, Miss. We're here to inspect the wind turbines." The man in the lead, older, with long white hair, dark, impenetrable lenses on a pair of sunglasses, waved a hand towards the northern coast of the island. "We'll just have a quick look around and be on our way."

Runa glanced towards the turbines, where only one continued to rotate. The others, struck by lightning during the storm, had not moved for days. It seemed somewhat plausible, but something itched in the back of her mind. She couldn't quite put her finger on what concerned her.

The other two men also wore their hair long, but they seemed quite different from the older one that had spoken. One lifted a large hip flask to his lips and took a long drink as his eyes roved up and down Runa's body. Taller than the older one, with thick, red hair and a beard to match, he seemed heavily muscled, though covered with body-fat, his stomach distending over his belt. A big man that looked as strong as his body promised.