15

"Parliament has voted for emergency powers in the face of the multiple catastrophes that threaten, not only the United Kingdom, but the entire world

"Parliament has voted for emergency powers in the face of the multiple catastrophes that threaten, not only the United Kingdom, but the entire world. These are broad measures that have given the police far reaching discretionary powers, have brought the armed forces to full mobilisation and suspended any and all by-elections for the foreseeable future.

The Prime Minister has stated they have stopped short of calling the nation to a full war footing, but cannot rule out further measures. The opposition parties have now been called into an emergency cabinet, seen as a first step to suspending the democratic process for the duration of the continuing crises."

-+-

15

Runa and McAreavey huddled together in the small cave as the storm seemed to shake the very bones of the island. Waves lashed against the thin strip of beach, sending pebbles and sand flying in a swirl, exacerbated by winds so strong, they threatened to drag both figures out of their hiding place.

They clung to each other and Runa could barely breathe as a never-ending stream of wind, rain and waves battered them both, soaking them to their very bones. Her fingers began to cramp as she gripped the sleeve of McAreavey's waxed coat and she saw the old farmer flexing his fingers against his shotgun. She prayed, to God and the old gods for mercy. For the lives of her children, hoping that the ferocity of the storm focussed upon her and Alf, rather than the rest of the island.

And then, the storm fell away. Dissipating in the space of a second. One moment, Runa fought to keep her back pressed against the rough stone of the cave wall, the next she found herself able to breathe. The winds passing, the rain becoming nothing but a light shower and the waves calming. She gasped, drawing in precious air and she felt McAreavey fall to the ground beside her.

She wiped the rain from her face and prepared herself to continue to fold into the cave, should the storm return. It had not disappeared entirely. She could see it, continuing its fury, only thirty, perhaps forty, feet from where she crouched. But, here, the storm had given way to a pregnant calm. She doubted this was the end of it. Far from it. If she had guessed correctly, this only gave way to a greater danger.

McAreavey leaned his head against the cave wall, drawing in deep, rasping breaths, and he clutched his shotgun to his chest as though he would never, could never, let go of the weapon ever again. There wasn't a silence around them, she could still hear the winds, the rumbles of thunder, the striking of lightning, but, here, the sounds seemed to come from far away. Still, she strained her ears.

The sound of boots crunching on pebbles made her jump and McAreavey stirred from his fight to breathe. The boots came ever nearer and then stopped, out of sight, beyond the cave. Runa pushed herself to her feet and began to edge to the mouth of the cave. McAreavey grabbed her hand, shaking his head, but Runa gently pulled her hand free. She had to see. Had to face who she had expected to come.