17

"In yet another emergency session of Parliament, votes were cast and

"In yet another emergency session of Parliament, votes were cast and ... ... ... in order ... ... ... no longer ... ... ... ... response ... ... Furtherm ... ... milit ... ... Citizens are exp ... ... ... ...

I'm sorry. We appear to be havin ... ... uge explos ... ...

Is this still on? Are we still broadcasting? Is everyone okay? Stay in your homes. Do not go outside. We're still trying to make sense of rep ... ... ... ..."

-+-

17

Fenrir towered above them all, his coat as black as the complete absence of light, red eyes of flame burning as the wolf-god peered down at those that had come to his sanctuary. He did not leave the cave, however, and that appeared to irk the All-Father. Then Fenrir lowered his immense head, as though bowing, before stepping to the side. An invitation.

"You expect me to enter your realm, dog?" Odin did not respond to Fenrir's bow. "I feel the magics you have woven within and I will not offer myself to you here. The game must be played on the field of battle, not here."

"I will not harm you, All-Father. Not here or anywhere. I have no heart for the game you speak of. I wish only for peace."

"There can be no peace, son of Loki! None!" Odin released Runa's shoulder as he stepped forward, keeping outside the boundaries of the cave. "It is our destiny, dog! We can no more ignore it than we can stop the decay of the universe. Gods though we may be, we are bound by our fates. It is time for us all to come to an end. Do your duty!"

"I shall not. I do not believe the coming of Ragnarök is inevitable. I believe we can choose our own destiny. Enter, let us speak as gods and friends. Or leave. I shall not fight."

Runa moved towards Hertha and Stigr. Thor and Vidarr did not attempt to stop her. They knew she could not run from them. Not out into the raging storm beyond the bubble of calm created by Odin. She could not believe that it had grown worse. Beyond the bubble, it looked as though the entire world had blackened and stood at the precipice of destruction.

She held her children in her arms wondering how anyone could survive what she saw. Meanwhile, Odin had turned to Thor and Vidarr, taking silent counsel from their expressions. It seemed clear that Odin could not take Fenrir from his cave sanctuary. That angered him, and that anger fuelled the storm to even greater strength.

With a hook of his finger, Odin urged Thor and Vidarr to follow him. The All-Father's only option appeared to be to talk 'sense' into Fenrir. To persuade the wolf-god to fulfil his immortal obligations. Runa couldn't imagine Fenrir changing his mind. She knew the wolf-god little, but well enough to know that he fully intended to remain within the cave.

Fenrir backed away, further into the cave and, after a slight hesitation, Odin followed. With a shove of one, massive hand, Vidarr sent Runa and her children forwards, past the mouth of the cave.