Chapter 1

Sometimes you plan for something, and then when you try to execute that plan, a totally different thing happens

Sometimes you plan for something, and then when you try to execute that plan, a totally different thing happens. You know? It can happen to anyone, so of course it happens to me.

My life is perfectly ordinary. Or at least, it was five minutes ago.

Every morning I get up, prepare my daily rations, check my assignment, walk the twelve feet to my work-unit, log in and appear in whatever situation a client needs me to be. I'm a Fixer, like thousands of others all around the world.

I have an old unit, it fails me every once in a while. It failed me today, but not in the usual way. Before today, it would shut down, sever the connection and leave me hanging in the middle of whatever action or sentence I happened to be in. I'd be back in my room, nearly falling over by the sudden change of scenery. One time I was holding some old lady's laundry basket out the window, so she could hang up the sheets more easily. I guess she won't be calling us again in the future.

More embarrassing was that day when I was meant to be holding a shield in front of some minister of war. It would have been an easy task. I wore special protective clothing and all.

Of course, history would not be affected by my bad unit's failures, they'd always send a repair-team to clean up whatever mess my hasty departure made.

This time, however, that would be a little bit more difficult. You see, usually when my unit malfunctions, I get sent back immediately. That's a fail safe for all Fixers ... I guess the fail safe malfunctioned today.

I had been looking forward to this task. None of the usual Fixers were available and I had taken Korean in class a few years back. I was rusty, but could manage. I had also studied world history, like all Fixers, but for me it had been more like a hobby. History was the water and I the sponge. I could recollect hundreds of useless facts about hundreds of ancient era's.

Did you know that phones used to be connected to a box on the wall by a curly wire? It makes me laugh every time I think about the difficulty people must have had talking to each other, back in the day. The tiny dot I press against my temple each morning is so much easier.

I wear that dot today, hidden beneath the blond curls that I hadn't bothered to fix into a ponytail. No one would see me, they'd promised. No contact whatsoever, they'd said. In and out ... Yeah, right.

I would have stayed in bed, had I known this would happen.

"Go back where you came from, daemon, leave this place!" The angry voice of the man before me yells at me from a safe distance. I want to obey him, really I do, but my neck is surrounded by at least five pointy swords and I have no wish to find out exactly how sharp those blades are.

At least I'm wearing my standard issue uniform, the tight leather suit is all black, that helps in the darkness around us. Or isn't it a good thing? Squinting, I cannot help but wonder if, in this instance, it would have been better to wear my silk pajamas?