Chapter 7

After a while, as the evening unfolds, I relax a bit

After a while, as the evening unfolds, I relax a bit. All three of the young men seem to believe Gi-Kyong's bride to be is incredibly shy. They tease him for forgetting all about them and complement him for having found such a lovely young woman. Because I hardly say a word, none of them dares to address me directly, so no questions are asked about where I come from or who my parents are.

All the while the men are talking and Mrs. Ho walks back and forth with bowls filled with lovely dishes, I try to get a story in my mind, just in case someone does ask me something. I'm Yeong Ji-Eun, daughter of Yeong Yon and Yeong Hana-their names were John and Hannah. I don't know if it matters to have one or two first names, but this is the best I can come up with. As to where we come from ...

For a second I'm startled when Gi-Kyong says my name. My eyes fly up, first to him, and then they betray me and turn towards the visitors. It's no more than a fraction of a second before I cast them down again, but at least one of the men raised his eyebrows in shock.

Did they see? Did his shock come from the lightness of my eyes, or merely because I finally looked up? Oh, please let it be the latter. I have to get out of here.

Mrs. Ho steps outside again, that's my salvation. I quickly rise, bow a few times expressing my gratitude and how it's my turn to mend the stove, and almost run inside.

It isn't long before Gi-Kyong follows me, he finds me with shaking hands trying to fan the fire some more. He kneels down beside me, takes the fan from my hands and closes the oven doors.

"Ji-Eun-ah, it's alright, they've left." His endearment in still addressing me casually breaks my composure.

A sob leaves my lips. "I'm so sorry, I think he saw."

"Saw what?"

"My eyes!" I press my palms against them and wonder if I'll ever stop crying again.

He remains silent for a moment, then pulls my hands away from my face. "It's alright", he gently comforts me. Behind him his parents move the eating utensils back inside. He ignores them and keep my hands in his. "Even if he saw, he won't hurt you."

It's sweet, how he has faith in his friend and I want to trust in that as well. But one wrong word and the wrong people will come to investigate. One careless remark; one curious question and my cover will be blown. I wish I could dye my eyes as easily as you can dye hair.

---

That night, when I lay on my mat and can't sleep, I decide I have to go back to the place where I lost my dot. The last time I was there it got dark too soon and I was injured, but this time I will leave real early and search all day. Hardly anybody comes in these woods, nobody would have found it already. I know the direction, Gi-Kyong doesn't have to guide me. I will not bother this wonderful family any further.

I will find the dot and go back. Back home, back to my time.

There are a few things I will have to gather before I leave. I know they keep my suit in a basket in the backroom. I found it two days ago when I was airing the beds. Now that my shoulder has healed enough, I can put the black suit back on. My boots are in the shed, hidden beneath the straw. I will need to bring water with me and a little food. That will be the last thing I will take from this family, after that I won't trouble them for anything anymore.