Chapter 12

I don't know how long I've been laying on the cold floor, shivering and trying not to cry too much

I don't know how long I've been laying on the cold floor, shivering and trying not to cry too much. In the end I must have fallen asleep, because the next time I open my eyes, frail light seeps through various cracks in the doors. For the first time I take a good look at my surroundings. It seems like I'm in some sort of stock room. Albeit it being empty.

The walls are made from piled rocks, fastened with dried up mud, perhaps I should have tried kicking those. Right now I can't kick a balloon if I wanted to, my feet are so sore I'm afraid I'll never be able to walk again.

And I'm hungry. My stomach has gotten used to ample amounts of delicious food and all I've had since lunch yesterday is a bowl of water. Will my captors return today? Will they feed me?

Whatever they have planned, it'll most likely happen today. The only plus I can think off is that I'm too much of a wreck to be able to do anything right now. They'll find it difficult to sell me for the highest price at the moment. I can't even sit up without aching all over.

I can't help but wonder if this is something I have to fear for the rest of my life. I will always be blond and my eyes will always be blue. I'm beginning to think I should have gone back with my colleague when I had the chance. I might not have been with Gi-Kyong, but the chance of that happening is becoming slimmer by the minute.

He might think another Fixer came and took me away. When he won't find me near the spot he found me a week ago, perhaps he will give up looking for me. Will he believe I've left him? He will despise me if he does and so will his parents. The thought eats away at my soul and the ache it leaves me with is worse than any physical pain I had to endure.

I stay still in my coiled position, even when the door is opened from the outside and unkind hands again put a dark sack over my head. I grunt when someone lifts me up and moan when I'm thrown onto some cart. Through the opening of the sack I can just make out coarse planks and when I try to stretch, I'm met with a row of bars on all sides. Bales of fabric and bushels of grain or something are thrown on top of me until I'm certain no one can see me. I guess I'm lucky they make sure there's nothing on my face. When the cart starts moving, my body shakes, and not only from the movement.

We ride for a long time and only once I'm allowed to drink water and relieve myself. The hunger eats away at me, but the men don't care. My left foot is throbbing so bad I pass out at intervals.

Barely conscious, I'm finally unloaded. They remove the sack from my head and drop me on the doorstep of a house that is a definite upgrade from the one the Ho family lives in. It's not a palace, but I'm sure someone wealthy lives here.

My suspicion is confirmed when I'm met with shiny black leather shoes. I can see the rim of a silk coat in a rich green color. There is even embroidery on it. More, I can't see, because I am unable to lift my head.

A gruff voice above me asks: "What is this?" A foot prods me, as if to check if I am dead or not.

For the first time I hear my captor's voice. "We found this foreigner hiding in the woods, we thought she might make a nice addition to your collection."