Epilogue

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear baby girl, happy birthday to you

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear baby girl, happy birthday to you."

It's very early in the morning, a little more than two years after our marriage and I'm holding a still sleepy one-year old in my arms. One chubby little thumb is sucked between two pink lips that form a small o. Without waking up my husband or my parents-in-law, I softly sing the words to the song only I know.

I hardly use English any more, I'm a fully integrated Joseon woman who wears her long hair in an intricate braided up-do. Recently I've finally been able to really wear my hairpins.

The first sound my daughter makes, wakes up Gi-Kyong, who wipes the sleep from his eyes and sits up straight.

"Hey, did she wake you?"

I smile and hum. He takes the baby, who's now wide awake, from me and presses his nose in her soft little pink cheek.

"One year old," I sigh, as I enjoy the view, "can you believe it?"

Gi-Kyong chuckles and when our little girl sticks her arms in the air and begins to wiggle to be released, he says: "She's going to be a spoiled little princess today."

On hands and knees, she shuffles to the door and stands up against it. There's several holes in the paper where her fingers pushed through and as soon as she spots her grandmother she begins to wail.

"Oh yeah," I sigh and get up to open the door. "Mee-Hana-ya, come, I will clean you and dress you in your new hanbok and then you can go to halmeoni, ne?"

We named her after both our mothers. A little unusual here, perhaps, but that kind of defines me, I'm a little unusual as well.

Our daughter's hair is lighter than that of most Koreans. Brown, instead of black. And even though Gi-Kyong always says he loves the color of my eyes, I was very happy to see Mee-Hana's were a warm chocolate. She's beautiful and every day I'm grateful for the life I've been given.

Standing in the door opening, watching how she takes baby steps holding the hand of her grandmother and throwing tiny fists full of corn to the chickens, I feel Gi-Kyongs arms wrap around me. With my hands on his and his chin resting on my shoulder I softly say: "Thank you for fixing me."

Gyeolmal (The end)

---

If you liked this story, make sure to read my other original K-drama sageuk: My Kingdom My Love (https://www.wattpad.com/story/347712006-my-kingdom-my-love-k-drama)