One

Ryder

Brett burst into the study, causing Ryder to jolt and drop the papers he'd been reading all over the desk. He sighed and began to collect them up again, as Brett flumped into a nearby armchair.

"You have a minute?"

"Go ahead."

He took a deep breath. "I have a problem."

"Well, now you have two"

Brett frowned. "How's that?"

"I'm not interested in your first one." Ryder finished collecting his papers and settled behind his desk once again. "Go annoy someone else."

"I'm serious," Brett whined. "I just got a letter requesting us to meet someone in thirty minutes, but I was planning on having a relaxing day at a bar- "

"Wait, wait, wait. Back up." Ryder stared at Brett. "We're supposed to meet someone in thirty minutes?"

"Yes. But as I said- "

Ryder rubbed his face. "Brett. When did you receive this message?"

"About two hours ago. Why?"

Ryder gaped at him. He and Brett had worked for years together, and he still didn't understand the importance of promptness? Typical Brett.

"Are you clinically insane, or just incredibly annoying?"

Brett shrugged. "I don't know. Probably both."

"Grab your coat, and call the others. We've got somewhere to be."

***

As they wound through the paved roads of Plexmont City, Ryder questioned Brett extensively about the letter.

"So, it didn't have a signature?"

Brett sighed. "No, Ryder. I've already told you that."

"It is an important question though," Erin added. "And you have a reputation for forgetting important details."

"Shut up, Erin." Ryder smiled, as his demolitions expert began bickering with Brett. She'd joined the crew only a year ago, but had wasted no time getting into the swing of things.

Her loud mouth matched Brett's and they were constantly squabbling over the smallest things, like who could have the last bit of peanut butter, or if the other had cheated in a card game, or whether or not Cole, their marksman, would look good in a sparkly pink tutu. (Erin said he would, but Brett disagreed. Personally, Ryder agreed with Brett, but he'd never say so. He'd made it a point to never join their discussions).

Ryder turned to Cole himself, who was behind them, his hands tucked into his coat pockets. He was quiet – even more so than usual. Before he could comment on it, though, Erin patted him on the arm.

"Where're we going anyway?"

"Parker Square."

She frowned. "Isn't that Reaper territory?"

Ryder's eyes widened. She was right. The Square had always been abandoned because no one – no one wanted to cross the most ferocious gang in Plexmont, even the patrolmen. People who did usually disappeared. And never came back. And if their mysterious correspondent wanted them to go to a Reaper zone, then either they were a Reaper or...

"Stop!" he cried out, throwing out a hand. They were on an empty street two minutes away from the only entrance to the square - two minutes away from a potential disaster. "Somethings not right."

Erin snorted. "We're being asked to meet a potential killer in an abandoned zone that belongs to one of the most dangerous gangs in the city. Also, Brett just told me that he knows how to play the kazoo. Of course, something's wrong."

Ryder sighed. "No. They're asking us to meet us in Reaper territory, so either they're a Reaper, or- "

"Oh, dear God, no. I want to die heroically in battle, not at the mercy of some gang member." Brett interrupted. Erin burst into laughter, which only increased at his annoyed look.

"Or, it's a trick. Someone may want us killed, and this was the easiest way to do so." Ryder cursed himself. He should have realized sooner. He'd just been desperate for a job – they hadn't had one in weeks. But that was no excuse for-

"Oh, I assure you, you weren't called to the square to be killed. You're much too valuable for that. And in the future maybe don't engage in such discussions in public. You never know who might be listening."

Ryder sucked in a deep breath and turned.

Staring back at him was a tall man of about thirty. He had a scraggly gray goatee and tiny blue eyes that didn't match the smile on his lips.

"Who are you?"

"We'll get to that later. Now, Mr. Donahue, would you and your friends care to step in here? We have a lot to discuss." Goatee Man stepped up to the building next to them and opened the door. He looked at them, and Ryder know that it wasn't a choice. They would get in there or suffer the consequences. But to enter a house with an unfamiliar layout, with a stranger with questionable intentions...

"Well, shit," Brett said, accurately summing up the situation.

A/N: So...welcome to this fictional universe! I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far! 

Feedback is absolutely welcome (and necessary), so please do comment!

Don't forget to vote! :)