Twenty-Seven

Lana

The room that they'd stepped into was even grander than the foyer. It was large, gold and imposing, and made Ryder think of photos he'd seen of grand ballrooms in Europe. There were fifty or so people milling about aimlessly across the marble tiled floor, as a band played dance music on a raised platform. The waiters lined the side of the rooms, and noticing that, Lana began craning her neck to find Erin or Cole.

She spotted Erin standing on the other side of the floor, talking to one of the guests. Lana turned to Ryder who was busy studying every nook and cranny of the room, and nudged his arm. When he turned, she tilted her head in Erin's direction, and Ryder nodded.

"Go," he said. "I'll wait for you here."

Lana let go of his hand slowly, and made her way through the throng of guests, all the way to Erin. She was still talking with someone, and so Lana kept a respectable distance as she waited for them to finish their conversation. She recognized the woman Erin was speaking with to be the wife of Plexmont's mayor. She was plump and lively, wearing a purple dress with a matching furry feather boa that made her look less like a model and more like a monster.

"...having an absolutely great time so far!" the woman was saying. "I was apprehensive of course, because of all the scandals surrounding him, but Bobby convinced me that we should definitely come. And look what a great decision that was!"

"Yes, of course. I'm glad you're enjoying it." Erin replied. "You mentioned a scandal?"

Lana pressed the heel of her hand into her forehead. Even as a novice in the world of heists, Lana could tell that you shouldn't be that direct. Thankfully, the woman was dim enough to not suspect anything about the blatant questioning.

"You haven't heard?" she was saying. "Many of his art pieces have been vanishing all over the country! Just like that!" The woman tried to snap her fingers, but couldn't. "Well-you know what I mean. Anyway, it makes you feel a little worried about our safety, doesn't it?"

Erin nodded politely, clearly unsure of what to do with the conversation. Luckily for her, the woman wandered away, in search of her husband.

Lana took this opportunity to walk up to her as she fiddled with the champagne glasses on her plate. She heard her approaching, and looked up. The two women made eye contact, and while Erin kept her face perfectly neutral, Lana could see the relief in her eyes. Clearly, she and Ryder hadn't been the only ones who were worried.

"Would you like a drink?" Erin said abruptly, and Lana realized that they needed to continue the façade for the people around them.

"Why, yes. I'd love one." She handed her a champagne flute, and Lana sipped at it delicately. She drank, of course, but not often – she'd seen enough horror stories of the effects of alcoholism to be cautious with liquor.

Lana moved to Erin's side – close enough to be able to talk, yet far enough that it wouldn't attract unwanted attention. She wanted to ask about Cole as well, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Suddenly, an idea came to her. She started coughing, not a lot, but enough for other guests to discreetly slide away from her. Then she lifted her hand to her mouth, on the pretense of trying to smother her coughs.

"Where's Cole?" she whispered to Erin, under the cover of her fingers.

Erin kept her head down, seeming to not even acknowledge her words, but after a few seconds she heard her speak.

"He's fine. He's in the kitchens now," she whispered, her words barely audible. Lana nodded, the tiniest fraction, to show that she'd heard. Sensing that staying any longer would make her seem suspicious, she walked away, looking for Ryder among the guests.