Ten

Cole

Cole knocked on the door of the house rapidly, waiting for Ryder, or Brett or someone to open it. He looked at his watch, seeing that-

"Stars," he said, and cursed quietly. He'd left after talking with Erin, and had only meant to go out for a few hours – and get back at around five. Ryder had told them to be there by six thirty sharp.

It was seven.

Just then, the lock rattled, and Cole looked up, praying that it would be Brett or Erin – he knew that one of them would cover for them. Stars – he'd take the new girl; she couldn't be that bad. Just as long as it wasn't Ryder – he'd give him the lecture of his life.

Finally, the door opened, and the person behind it-

"Ryder."

Of course. He had the worst luck. Cole tried to enter, but Ryder made no move to let him through. He just stared at him, eyes narrowed, mouth set into a thin line.

"Do you know what time it is?"

"Seven. But- "

"And what time did I tell you to be back?"

"Six-thirty." This time, Cole made no move to try and explain. He could tell that Ryder was just building up to his tirade, and once he was on a roll, there was no stopping him.

"This isn't the first time you've been late – you've done this many times before! I know that to you, this doesn't seem like a big deal, and it might not be, now, but when we're heisting...what happens if you don't do things on time?" He shook his head. "Cole, you've got to be more punctual."

"Brett's late all the time, and you don't care." As soon as he said it, Cole cursed himself. Saying that would not improve things – in fact, they'd only make them worse.

As he expected, Ryder looked more livid than ever. "This isn't about Brett. And anyway, while Brett be more relaxed in the way he does his work, he is always ready in a time of crisis. He knows when he has to be on point, and honestly?" He shrugged. "I'd trust him with my life. But Cole...I don't know if I could say the same about you. How do I know you'll be there? On time?"

Cole bowed his head. Ryder was right – he had to be better, otherwise, he was just begging to get in trouble. But the next things Ryder said made his blood run cold.

"Cole, if you don't step things up...I'll have to take you off this team." Ryder didn't even wait for a response – he just walked down the hallway, leaving Cole filled with terror.

Lose my place on the team? Cole thought. That can't happen. No. If I lose this...I lose everything.

***

Cole found everyone else in the living room, sitting around the coffee table, looking at something. Only Lana looked up when he entered, and he shot her a quick a smile before taking a seat.

On the table was what looked like the floor plan of a boat. Cole squinted at it. "Is this- "

"Yep," Brett replied. "The blueprint of the Maynes. Carmichael's boat."

"How did you get it?" Cole couldn't really believe that it would be that easy to get a hold of these plans.

"Miss Turner has some-" Brett paused, "-friends that have access to certain information.

Cole turned his amazed gaze to Lana, who just shrugged. "I wouldn't call them friends, but...yeah."

"Wow." Clearly there was more to this small blonde girl than met the eye. He glanced over at Ryder who was studying the plans and muttering something to himself. Eventually, he nodded to himself, and looked up.