Chapter Fourteen

Cato’s POV

The prom is going to be tomorrow and Glimmer and I are already well-prepared. I called Clove last night if Marvel and she are already prepared, but she didn’t reply to my fifteen calls, and it is starting to worry me. She never talked a lot yesterday and she doesn’t even talk to me a week ago after winter break. I wonder what happened to her. Her mood changed, she was sad and sometimes distressed. Thresh told me about it and it’s starting to worry him too. Clove wasn’t even paying attention to Haymitch and she got scolded a lot from the past few weeks. She’s not even performing well in training, it’s natural for children who came from district 2 on having an aggressive attitude in training, but Clove was not able to show that attitude well enough, Marvel was about to stab her in the chest using his spear, and of course, Haymitch kept on yelling at Clove to be aware of what’s happening in front of her. Glimmer even noticed that there’s something off beam with Clove, she actually said honestly and I have to do something about it. I kept on calling her and fifteen calls turned into thirty calls, she doesn’t reply.

I started calling Marvel, her partner in prom and it seems that Marvel replies less than a minute.

“Hi Marvel.” I greeted him.

“Hi Cato,” He replied happily. “What’s up?”

“Does Clove reply to your calls or text or even talk to you?” I asked him anxiously.

“Yes, she talked to me, yesterday, remember?” He said. “But apparently, I called her earlier this morning, but she’s not replying.”

“THAT’S THE PROBLEM.” I said seriously and he laughed.

“Chill bro,” Marvel laughed. “Maybe Clove’s just busy or something.”

“That’s impossible; I already called her thirty times.” I said, and my palms are already sweating.

“Are you serious?” Marvel asked sternly this time. “Maybe she’s avoiding you. Why call her thirty times anyway?”

“I have something to tell her.” I said, and I can hear Marvel trying to suppress a laugh on the phone.

“Insert romantic background music here.” Marvel said and I started to frown.

“It’s not funny Marvel, it’s really important.” I said.

“Just call her later, maybe she’s busy.” Marvel said exasperatedly. “Now chill, and prepare for prom tomorrow.”

“Thanks Marvel.”

“You’re welcome bro.”

“Bye.”

“Goodbye.”

After that annoying phone call with Marvel I was given 5% assurance that Clove is okay. Maybe Marvel’s right, maybe she’s either busy or she’s trying to avoid me. Maybe she was mad when I came at her house during winter break and I ate there? That doesn’t even make any sense at all. Maybe she’s mad because she paid a lot for the food, and probably because we haven’t learnt anything from the tape. There must be something going on and it’s starting to worry me.

I sat at my bed still contemplating the things I had done with Clove, it was mostly eating and about school and from those experiences, I don’t recall anything erroneous going on or something that made Clove mad. From what I call to mind, I bullied her a lot during elementary days, but that was probably long, long ago. And from what I seem to remember, she yelled at me when I argued with Haymitch when he tried to pair me up with Glimmer. Maybe it was something about Glimmer? It was maybe about my pessimistic attitude. I am really a distrustful person maybe Clove hates me distrustful people. But she should have told me about it when I came to her house, she should have tried avoiding me by then. But seriously though, Clove would have done that? I’ll try calling her again sooner or later as I keep on considering… somewhat my mistakes.