Chapter Ten

I decided to put the "Hanging Tree" song in this chapter since it is so powerful and a little bit emotional after the awesome movie.

Cato’s POV

“Hey Clove!” I called out to her as she started heading out of the classroom. “PROM’S GOING TO BE IN FIVE DAYS AND YOU’RE NOT TALKING TO ME!”

“If you’re asking me out on prom, my answer would be rejection.” She told me and then she continued walking.

“Oh c’mon…” I ran past her and stood in front. “NOW YOU CAN’T ESCAPE.”

“Wow, I’m impressed.” She said sarcastically and rolled her eyes. Yes, she walked past me. “You’re thinking about prom? YOU SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT OUR HISTORY PROJECT!”

“We actually WORKED on it.” I said sternly. “WE WATCHED IT ALL WINTER.”

And I’m glad she came back to her senses.

“Fine, all we have to do now is write it down on a paper.” She said. “I’ll work on it as soon as I get home.”

“YOU’LL WORK ON IT?” I asked in surprise. “I’ll help you! Well, in fact, since you invited me to your humble home, why not I’ll invite you to my awesome home this time?”

“Fine,” She sighed and we walked together in the hallway, heading outside, and heading home.

Clove’s POV

Cato’s house is a mess. LIKE SERIOUSLY A MESS.

Weapons here, weapons there, war outfits here, war outfits there. Is he this bloodthirsty?

“Well, I’ll tell you a little story about myself.” He said proudly. “You see, Cato in District 2, you know? He’s the cousin of my uncle, so yeah; they named me Cato after him. The same goes for Glimmer. My family and Glimmer’s family want us to be together because of the stupid games.”

“Well that sums everything up.” I said.

“Well, my mom’s in her room right now and my dad’s working.” He said. “So we’ll just stay here in the living room.”

Cato’s house might be a mess, but there’s only one thing decent in the living room, a guitar.

“You play the guitar?” I mocked him. “Wow, I’m impressed.”

“Psh. I can make any teenage girls cry with my awesome guitar skills like Sungha Jung and my voice like Ed Sheeran.” He bragged and I laughed.

He picked up his guitar and then he started plucking the strings beautifully and melodically. I kept on listening to the strings making wonderful and gentle sounds, and it wasn’t just string plucking, he’s playing a familiar song I haven’t heard in years.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
They strung up a man
They say who murdered three.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where the dead man called out
For his love to flee.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run,
So we'd both be free.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Wear a necklace of rope,
Side by side with me.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run,
So we'd both be free.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
They strung up a man
They say who murdered three.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where the dead man called out
For his love to flee.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree.

President Snow would kill this man beside me if he's alive.