Chapter Seven

Cato’s POV

While I was munching down Clove’s chocolate chip cookies, the doorbell began to ring, and of course, I opened the door. As I opened it, a pizza delivery man to my surprise was carrying a huge box of pepperoni pizza to what it seemed. He probably needs to talk to Clove so I went to the kitchen to call her. It would be rude if I yell from the living room to the kitchen.

“Clove,” I yelled running down the kitchen, “there’s a delivery guy!”

“I know right.” Clove said ironically and she started running to the living room, and certainly, I was along with her.

“It costs fifty dollars miss.” The delivery man said and he handed me the box, and I almost regurgitate the chocolate cookies that I ate because of the price.

“Okay.” Clove said.

Right when she was about to hand the delivery guy the fifty dollars, I quickly took out my wallet and pulled out fifty dollars and handed it quickly to the delivery guy. Clove was surprised and then she told me she should pay it since it is her treat.

“No, I’m the one who should pay it.” I insisted.

“Is everything okay?” The delivery man said, almost returning the bill to me.

“It is fine, you can go back now.” I said. “Thanks for the delivery.”

“You’re welcome sir.” The delivery man said, and then he closed the door calmly.

“Seriously though,” Clove said as she took the box away from me, “You shouldn’t have done that.”

“Nah, it is fine.” I said. “What makes it so expensive anyway?”

“The pepperoni and the cheese are from Italy.” She said, and I was astonished.

“You must not treat your guests in a sophisticated way.” I scolded her slightly. “It’s a waste of money.”

“No it isn’t.” She said. “I’ll just go to the kitchen to get us some plates.”

“Nah, we could just eat it using our hands.” I said. “You’re too classy.”

“Fine,” Clove said as she placed the huge box on the living room table.

We both opened the box simultaneously and the overpowering scent of the cheese and pepperoni. It makes my stomach churn even though I just ate chocolate chip cookies. I took a cheesy slice and I gave it to Clove, she smiled and she took it whole-heartedly.

While I was already eating three slices of pizza, Clove took out an old and dusty VHS tape on a small cabinet beside the television. She inserted the tape on an old VCR (Videocassette recorder) as well. When the tape began to play, there was a video about a Panem Propaganda film and the treason of the districts to the Capitol.

“War, terrible war; widows, orphans, a motherless child, this was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them; protected them.  Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. The people rose up from the ashes and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost, and the traitors were defeated, we swore as a nation, we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed, that each year, the various districts of Panem, would offer up a tribute, one young man and woman to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage, and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past; this is how we safeguard our future.”

Clove’s POV

 “Well that’s just stupid.” Cato complained. “It’s plain stupid.”

“Why?” I asked him.

“Well, you offer up a tribute?” Cato said. “It doesn’t seem right. If they wanted peace, why kill each other?”

“It’s their way of remembering the past.” I said, trying to keep up with the film when Caesar tries to ask Seneca, although I couldn’t because it’s an old VHS tape, you can’t freely pause or stop.

“I know it hurts in the past.” Cato said. “But it’s a human’s death. It’s worse than that “terrible war” thing.”

“I guess that “terrible war” thing is much worse than the Hunger Games.” I said, stating my own opinion.

“The Hunger Games is much worse because every year someone has to die.” Cato retorted. “And those people who die are the young people!”

“I know that Cato bu—“

“THEY LIVE IN FEAR CLOVE, THEY LIVE IN FEAR.” Cato said seriously and honestly.

“Okay Mr. Debate pants.” I laughed.

“Man, I’m tired of stating my own opinion with you.” Cato said.

The VHS tape kept on playing, and we were at the part when the actual games is about to start. We can see the tributes’ confidence and fear in their eyes. When the countdown was already in ‘0’ the careers ran to the Cornucopia. They took almost all of the weapons and they killed every single person who tries to take it away from them. The younger ones were mostly killed, while the others try to run away. It was a horrific blood bath, and Cato and I couldn’t afford to see it, so we just looked at our pizzas and ate a lot of slices. Too bad we couldn’t skip the tape.

As soon as the blood bath was finished, we were at the part where Katniss tries to make some traps and also the part where she found out that Peeta was with the Careers, it was slight betrayal, but he was actually doing it to protect Katniss from the Careers. When Katniss met Rue, they became allies and then a few moments later, she was killed by one of Marvel’s ancestors by a spear. Katniss sang Rue a song before she died, and then she started doing the “District 12” sign using her three fingers. The Capitol said it was a symbol of defiance, because District 11 rebelled against Rue’s death. And that is where a small spark, which was left unattended, grew into an inferno that destroyed all of Panem.