Twenty Seven

September 16, 1996

Today was Elijah's first birthday and the whole family was excited. The party would be at Neverland, of course. Janet had been waiting for this day since he was born.

It was also Liyann's original due date. Janet and Tupac would finally be able to bring their daughter home tomorrow and they couldn't be any happier. They were especially excited for Elijah to meet his baby sister.

When she was in the NICU, they couldn't bring Elijah to visits because no one else besides parents were allowed inside.

Mariah said she had a surprise for Elijah but Janet didn't have the slightest idea what it was.
At the moment, Janet was out getting a few last minute things for the party. Elijah was with Mariah and Tupac at Neverland.

Janet had to pick up his Winnie the Pooh birthday cake and some balloons then everything would be ready. All her brothers, nieces, and nephews were there. All of them were there to celebrate her baby. That warmed her heart, to know just loved her son was.

A year ago today, Janet was impatiently waiting for her water to break. In the span of a year passing, Elijah had grown so much and so had the love his parents and family had for him.

She got his Winnie the Pooh cake, balloons, streamers, party hats and made her way back to Neverland.
As she drove back, her mind couldn't help but to drift off to her baby girl. How she wished Liyann could be at Elijah's party.

"Mariah, what is this surprise for Elijah you keep talking about?" Janet raised her eyebrow.
"He's at the door, I'm about to invite him in."
"Who is he exactly?"

Mariah opened the door and to Janet's surprise, it was Maxwell. Janet instantly teared up because she knew what song he was going to sing.
Mariah had invited Maxwell to Elijah's party to sing to him because Whenever, Wherever, Whatever was his favorite song at the moment.

"Maxwell, this is Janet."
"Janet this is Maxwell."
"It's so nice to meet you. My son, Elijah just adores your voice." Janet shook his hand graciously.
"It's an honor to meet you and your family. I'm glad to hear your son likes my music. What's his favorite song?"
"Whenever, Wherever, Whatever." Janet sang.
"He's got good taste."
"I'd like to think he has an ear for good music. Come on, I think it's time we sing 'happy birthday'."

Maxwell and Mariah followed behind Janet as she led them to the backyard where Elijah was with his father and the rest of the family.
"Honey, this is Maxwell. He was the surprise Mariah kept talking about." Janet introduced the two.
"It's nice to meet you, man. My son loves you." He shook his hand.
"So, I've heard."
"You ready to sing 'happy birthday' with us?"
"Yep."

Janet brought his cake to the table outside and placed a single candle in the middle.
Tupac picks him up before everyone starts singing.
"1, 2, 3," Tupac says.

"Blow out the candle, Pumpkin." She smiled.
"Now, everyone, Maxwell is gonna sing Elijah's favorite song."
Tupac pulled out his video camera so this could be something that Elijah could look back on in some years.

Lead me on girl, if you must
Take my heart and my love

Janet watched Elijah's face light up and was teary eyed at the sight of her now one year old child. Remembering him as that needy, clingy newborn and seeing him as the independent one year old he was now made her burst into tears.
"Sweetheart, what's wrong?"
"I'm just emotional..I'm okay. I just can't believe it's been a year. I was so in love when I saw his little face for the first time..he'll never be that little again." She frowned.
"This is the start of a new chapter, Elijah's first birthday and Liyann's homecoming tomorrow and she needs both of us."
"You're right." Janet sniffed.