Chapter nine

"Hannah, why don't you invite your friends over for dinner tonight?" Mom asks.

"I don't know," I say.

"Please, I would like to meet them," She begs.

"I'll ask Sarah but they may have other plans mom,"

"Well asking is the least you can do," She says and I sigh.

I text Sarah and let her know that they are invited for dinner, but I'm hoping they have other plans deep down. I hate having people over when my parents are around because they ask way too many questions. They always embarrass me, even if it's not intentional.

Sarah: Sure! What time should we come? Can we bring anything?

Great.

Me: Around 6, no need to bring anything. See u then xx

I throw my phone on the bed.

"They will be here," I say.

"How many of them?"

"Five,"

"Five? You've certainly made the friends then,"

"I became friends with Sarah and they were her friends," I shrug.

"Any boys?"

"Three, but John B is Sarah's boyfriend. The other two are Pope and JJ."

"Strange names in this place. Like what kind of name is Raff?" Dad says.

"Rafe dad, not Raff," I say.

"Same thing, both strange,"

"I can't get over how handsome he is!" Mom squeals when dad leaves the room.

"You should tell him the next time you see him, he loves to hear that," I roll my eyes.

"Is he coming as well?"

"No, and you can't bring him up tonight, okay?"

"Why not?"

"Just because, Sarah is his sister and they don't get along,"

"Oh, is that why you were hiding him in the closet? You thought it was her coming over instead of us? Sneaky girl."

"Yeah, that's it,"

"Well, I will try my best to keep my mouth shut,"

"No mom, you cannot say a thing,"

"Alright, I just don't understand what you're hiding,"

"I'm not hiding anything, I just don't want Sarah to know he was here, okay?"

She puts her hands up surrendering and leaves the room to help dad with dinner. I sigh and make my way to the shower so I can freshen up for this wonderful evening I'm about to have.

***

I roll up my tights just as I hear a knock on the door.

"I'll get it!" Mom shouts.

"No!" I say and almost trip over my own feet.

It's too late, when I get to the living room mom is already hugging them as they walk through the door.

"I'm so glad you all could make it," She exclaims.

I stand back and watch their faces. They don't look scared or uncomfortable, JJ is gawking over her so I'm sure he enjoyed the hug thoroughly.

"Come in, don't be shy," She says and opens her arm to lead everyone inside.

"Thank you for inviting us, I brought a dessert," Sarah says and hands my mother a big bowl.