Chapter eleven

I walk home feeling nothing but embarrassment. I can feel my pocket buzzing and I know it's Lola continuing to freak out. I wish she could appreciate my feelings, just this once.

I stop in the driveway when I see the truck is gone. I sigh and hope they are exploring the town.

I open the front foor and see the bright pink sticky note on the table. I know exactly what this means. I pick up the letter that reads,

Hi honey, we are terribly sorry for upsetting you this morning. Your father got a call just after you left and it turns out we have to head back to New York for a couple of days. We left some extra money in your bedroom for groceries or whatever you need. I will call as soon as we land. We love you. - Mom and Dad xo

I crumble up the paper and toss it in the garbage can. I throw myself on the couch and sigh. This is what my life is going to be now. I have to get used to being alone because its becoming more frequent.

I slide my phone out of my pocket and read all the messages from Lola.

Lola👯‍♀️: I'm so sorry, I shouldn't be freaking out that your man called me hot. I'm sure he thinks you're the real hottie

Lola👯‍♀️: You know what, I miss your cute ass. I'm coming to visit.

Lola👯‍♀️: What's your address? I'm coming tonight. Is that alright with you and your parents?

What? She's coming to visit, tonight?

Me: Omg really? My parents just left for a few days... surprise surprise.

Lola👯‍♀️: Yes bitch I'm booking a plane ticket right now! Sorry about your parents:( xo

Me: Same old, no need to be sorry. So you're really coming hey?

Lola👯‍♀️: Of course. I'm done school for a couple of weeks anyway so its the perfect time. Send me your address bitch.

I sigh and send her my address. I can't believe shes actually coming here, and I don't even feel excited.

***

I wake up to loud banging on my front door. I groan and rip my blankets off. I slide on my slippers and take my time to answer the door.

"Hannah!!" Lola yells as she bangs on the front door.

"Coming!" I yell.

I open the screen door and unlock the main door and almost get knocked to my feet. Lola's black hair is tangled in my mouth and I can't help but laugh as she tightly squeezes my sides.

"Oh my god, it is so nice here! I love this place already." She says after she finally lets me go.

"It is pretty great." I say. "How was the flight?"

"Good." She says. "I definitely need a shower though."

"Yeah of course. You can put your suitcase in my room and the bathroom is just next to it." I say and she wheels her suitcase down the hallway.

"Hannah! Somebody is texting you." Lola calls form the bedroom.

I lay the carton of juice on the counter and speed walk to my room. Lola is the type of person to open my phone and read the messages if she think its from somebody important, like Rafe.

"It's just Sarah." She says as she hands me my phone.

I slightly roll my eyes as I open my phone to read her message.

Sarah: Want to come over for lunch? Everyone is here!

Me: I would, but my friend from Washington just came to visit.