Chapter ten

I march through the house like it's my own and find myself standing in Rafe's bedroom.

"Eager aren't you?" He says when I shut the door.

"No. I don't have anywhere else to go." I sigh.

"Where are your pogue friends?"

"I don't know." I say truthfully.

"Sarah and John B took the boat so they all may be with them, I guess you aren't pogue enough to hang out with them."

"Why am I not pogue enough?"

"Because of the way you dress and act. Everybody can tell you have money at first glance."

"Well that shouldn't matter. They are still my friends." I say. "You're just trying to piss me off."

He shrugs and a little grin grows on his face.

"I can leave if you want me to." I say, crossing my arms.

"No, you are fine right here." He says, standing up from his desk chair.

"Okay, that's what I thought." I say and roll my eyes.

I walk past his body and sit on the edge of the bed. I'm not even sure why I came here. I know I didn't come here to take 'How to suck dick 101' that's for sure. I kind of feel comforted by Rafe, he's the only one here who knows my family issues.

"What's wrong? You are usually less moody than this?" He asks, sitting beside me on the bed.

"I came here because I thought I wanted to get some things off my mind, but now I'm not in the mood for anything like that. I really can go."

"You don't have to, you can stay. Sex is not all I care about, its just a big part of my life." He says jokingly and I grin.

"How nice. I didn't think you could be."

"I can be, to certain people." He shrugs. "So what's wrong?"

"My parents are just pissing me off." I sigh.

"How come?"

"It's stupid. They said they wanted to buy a boat and I told them not to bother because they will never be here to use it and I'll be stuck with it when they decide they are never coming back here again. It happens all the time. They just blow me off every time I say things like that and it's so difficult to be around them."

"Do you really think they will leave again?"

"I know they will. They've been here for two days and that's longer than I expected. I give it another week." I say.

"How long do they leave you for?"

"It could be a week to months. They left me for three months when I was nine. Didn't tell anybody so I had to call my own nanny to come over to look after me." I say.

"That's pretty fucked up."

"Yeah. That's not even the worst." I say. "I love them and I know they love me but we just have a weird relationship. I'm not sure why they even decided to have a kid when they knew they would have no time for me."

"Well at least you're a good kid. My dad is terrified of me." He mumbles.

"I think your dad is a coward." I say. "I read about you guys online last night, basically you're whole story. I understand everything, why you do what you can to protect him and I think you're really brave."

I turn to Rafe and his eyes are soft. His face is kind of shocked and I guess I can understand why. So many people are probably afraid of him, or don't care enough to know about his family issues. They see him as somebody who they can check off their fuck list and that's it.