Ch. 14 Back to Business

Aether cleared his throat awkwardly while he stared at Albedo. Once their arousal had ebbed away, the reality of what they just did crushed down on both of them. Albedo was panicking about Sucrose, wondering if he truly loved her anymore while Aether was simply confused. 

Aether thought Albedo didn't like him at first, but the affection Albedo kissed him with seemed impossible to fake. He watched as Albedo stepped away and looked down the path, they were still surrounded by trees, but being so close to Razor, they were lucky they weren't spotted. 

"Aether I-"

"Save it for later, we've got work to do. Don't do that again." Aether pushed past Albedo roughly and stomped down the path, emotions going haywire. Had Albedo tricked him? Did he only do that to satisfy his own needs? Aether didn't think Albedo would do that, but it wasn't impossible, simply improbable. 

The two walked in awkward silence, both of them regretting what they had done, but for different reasons. Birds chirped cheerfully from the trees, oblivious to the conflict below them. Branches rattled in the breeze and the sound of running water gave the forest a peaceful aura. It made it easier for the two men to relax, shoulders drooping once the tension was released from them. They still kept quiet but it was more of a comfortable quiet this time. 

Soon enough, the path led them to the open mouth of a cave. Aether stopped suddenly as he eyed the darkened cave warily. "What if he's not here?"

"If he's not here we'll just go to someone else and question them instead." Albedo reasoned.

Aether hesitated a while more before nodding and stepping into the dark cave. The two walked in anxious silence. Neither had been here before but they knew it was where Razor lived. Water dripped from stalactites into small puddles on the floor of the cave. They walked a while more before they were greeted with the sight of orange glowing torches and warmth. Aether rushed towards the torches, goosebumps littered his arms and he rubbed them to keep warm. 

Albedo shook his head in exasperation at Aether, who for some reason never thought to bring a coat. One day it would be the death of him, Albedo decided. 

They heard quiet scuffling deeper in the cave, and in a few seconds, they found Razor, happily huddled on his makeshift bed. Razor glanced up at the sound of footsteps approaching and tilted his head at his visitors. 

"Hello, Razor!" Aether chirped as he stepped closer. "I apologize if we woke you, but Albedo and I have a few questions to ask. Regarding your vision."

"Razor's vision is fine. I can see."

"Ah no, what Aether means is your electro vision. Your gift from the archons?" Albedo butted in, stepping beside Aether.

"Oh... Yes, my vision is gone. Last night it happened."

"Tell us a bit more about what happened?" Aether questioned.

Razor hummed as he thought of what to say. He adjusted his ratty blanket and pulled it up to cover his legs.

"Razor got back from hunting early. I was going home with lots of meat. Mm..." Razor practically drooled at the memory of meat. "Someone was in Razor's home when he got back." He frowned. "Looked like you, Traveler." He pointed a finger up at Aether, not accusingly. "There was another, was Sucrose, I think." Razor looked at Albedo then, dropping his hand into his lap. 

"What happened then?"

"The stranger distracted me while Sucrose snuck behind me. She took my vision and ran. When I went to grab the stranger, she ran too. I could not catch them." Razor looked sad at that, his head lowered in shame.

"Do you know which direction they were headed when they ran?" Aether pushed.

"Uh... Razor did not see well. Maybe towards Liyue or Dragonspine?" Razor shrugged, his past sadness was forgotten as he cuddled up in his blanket, eyelids drooping sleepily.

Aether glanced at Albedo an eyebrow raised. "Sucrose?" Albedo had his eyebrows furrowed, his frown showing off the wrinkles on his forehead. 

"Why would Sucrose have any need for visions?" Aether nudged Albedo.

"I have... No idea. And I don't think it'd be safe to question her." Albedo murmured quietly, Razor having fallen asleep and was quietly snoring.

"Right... Why don't we get out of here then and figure out what we'll do next, hm?" Aether suggested gently.

Albedo only nodded and turned back towards the exit of the cave. He was quick in walking, causing Aether to jog a bit to catch up at first. 

They exited the cave together, daylight having dropped fast while they were in the cave. It was now dusk. Albedo looked up at the sky, stars twinkling down at him. He sighed as he thought of Sucrose, and what he might do about her. He frowned even more so when thinking about Aether, and the sudden affection he held towards his friend. What was an alchemist to do?

AN: The only reason I'm writing this is because I am bored. Yay new chapter, everyone go crazy.