I

The wind was steady that night.

She preferred it because she could hear everything better.

Her movements weren't the fastest but they were silent as she jumped from tree to tree.

Her crow had urgently summoned her to the mountains.

The extremely cold temperatures were nothing new. She only wore a plain white haori over her corps uniform but she didn't shake in fear of catching the unwanted attention of demons.

Her hands were empty but everytime she felt something threatening her life, she reached for her heavy weapon strapped on her back.

"Aoi,"

Giyuu, her master, spoke her name quietly and urged her to follow him. She nodded and obediently did so as his Tsuguko.

They had separated from Shinobu moments ago and she was getting more upset with the number of corpses they passed by. Corpses wearing the same uniform.

If things don't go well tonight, I could end up being one of those members.

She shook her head and focused on following Giyuu. He wouldn't let her die from a lower moon. His movements became quicker so she predicted his direction instead, watching his figure with her eyes.

It was one of those inexplicable things she was good at; predicting the movements of those around her so she could replace her lack of speed with early reactions.

She saw two figures in front of them and the larger one already dissolved into ashes when she caught up.

The girl wasn't slow; her master was just considerably much faster than most people.

There was a smaller demon he left for her. It didn't radiate that usual repulsive aura but she decided to land on it anyway for safety measures.

"That's not a demon, Aoi."

"Yes. However, it doesn't seem like a person either."

"What the-?!" The rough voice was followed by two violent, beaten up swords which caused her to step off him.

Human. They wore the same uniform pants and he had swords so he was one of them.

"Why are you wearing that mask?" She asked honestly, blocking his swords with her arm much to his surprise.

He was too stunned to answer and she didn't like being attacked so she pushed him back with just putting force into the arm he had tried to slash.

He fell into the water and quickly resurfaced to yell at her.

"You! Why is your arm so hard?!"

"..Strange human."

Instead of explaining, she closed her fist and a small, strong blade appeared from under her sleeve.

Giyuu inspected the demon and shook his head. "This isn't the strongest demon here."

Inosuke looked dumbfounded with the sudden appearance of the two. Giyuu had saved his head from being crushed and defeated the strong demon in an instant. He didn't even sense this girl approaching him. If she hadn't realized he was a human, would she have beheaded him instead?

"Then let's keep looking." Aoi said, retracting the blade carefully in her right arm.

"I will go. You help this guy and keep him here." Giyuu gently ordered.

"Understood." Aoi rushed to Inosuke's side.

Inosuke was still amazed with the strength of a hashira that he wanted to join him and help but he was gone in seconds. On the other hand, he didn't want to be left under the care of this girl who violently hit him. He was ready to block her once she approached him but she showed no signs of picking a fight even when he threatened to slice her.