XXI

"This is a different butterfly girl, idiot!" Inosuke yelled at his crow after saving Kanao. "Well, whatever. You look strong!"

Douma looks suprised at the appearance of his new opponent. "What are you?"

"Fight me, demon!" Then he read the markings in Douma's eyes. "Upper moon two? Hah! I'll become the beast hashira if I defeat you. Let's get this over with so I can reward that girl acorns!"

"That girl?"

"She's the reason why I can read the writings in your eyes!"

"Doesn't she have a name?"

"It would be disgusting to hear someone like you saying it."

-

Aoi regained her footing and followed her crow who was now leading her towards Upper Moon One. Her knees were getting weak and she was on the verge of crying.

I can't cry right now. Don't cry. Don't cry. I'll lose concentration again. Think happy thoughts. Happy thoughts like..

Kanao is still alive. I'm still alive. We can still live with Kiyo, Sumi and Naho waiting for us at home if Muzan is defeated.

Shinobu is the only hashira reported dead. That means the other pillars are still alive.

I can still fight.

Zenitsu defeated an Upper Moon.

"I shouldn't have told you and Tomioka-san. I've only worried the both of you."

Shinobu's voice rang in her ears but she did her best to keep her eyes dry. She was able to focus when her presence interrupted the intense fight in the next room.

Sanemi, Gyomei and Upper Moon One.

Everything was moving too fast so her eyes focused on the injured at the back.

"Genya!" She recognized him quickly and ran towards him in a hurry. The demon was too preoccupied fighting to pay any attention to its new opponent.

She held back a scream after seeing his condition. "Genya-"

He held a hand up. "Calm down. I'm alive."

"How are you alive?"

"This is how I fight."

She saw his demon-like eyes but didn't jump into any conclusions. Genya hated demons. He would never be one of them and Sanemi wouldn't have let such a thing happen.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm terrible with a sword and I can't do total concentration breathing. You already knew that, didn't you." His body began regenerating and she fell backwards, startled. "So I eat demons to get their skill."

Aoi answered with the only thing she could think of.

"..What the hell?" She rubbed her temples then bent to his side. "Why haven't you fully regenerated?"

"I'm not exactly a demon."

"So you don't need my help? Your injuries will be alright?"

"Yeah."

"Does Sanemi-san know?"

"Worry about me later." He said, pointing towards the mist pillar.

She rushed off to help Muichiro who was also in a similar, critical condition. "Pain killers." She mumbled before helping him swallow the small pill. Bandaging him was also rushed as they all wanted to help the others quickly.