37 | anti-hero

CALLAHAN JANE SURGES PAST ATLAS VAUGHN IN DRIVER CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS AFTER DISASTER HOME RACE FOR PORSCHE

A wet weekend dampened everyone's spirits at the German Grand Prix, but bad pit stops and tyre strategies weren't even the worst of it for Porsche at their home race in Hockenheim. After Jaye Lim crashed out in lap 1, the race was stopped under a red flag for almost an hour, and their ace Atlas Vaughn could not produce a podium finish, crossing the finish line at P8.

The misery had begun Saturday during a tense qualifying session, where Vaughn had a last second tussle with the Ferrari ace Jane. Heated words were exchanged between the two after the qualifying session, as both drivers believed the other to be at fault. Following the red flag restart in the race, Vaughn could not shake his issues while Jane surged ahead to snatch victory from pole sitter Mercedes' Adrian Olsen. After the race, Jane and Vaughn once again exchanged words in Parc Ferme, though much quieter than their row after qualifying. When asked about this particular conversation, Jane deployed a more measured response, while Vaughn declined to comment.

"That's between Atlas and I. I won't entertain any further speculation on it."

Formula 1 rounds out its triple-header this weekend in Austin, Texas for the electrifying United States Grand Prix, where we may see troubles continue for Vaughn as he has yet to finish a race in Austin in his Formula 1 career after infamously deciding to bow out of the race before the start in his rookie year.

I closed the article out on my phone and pressed it down into my lap. That wasn't even Daily Mail - this was halfway reputable The Spin, which was an ESPN affiliate. No matter where you looked or what news outlet favored which team, the only constant was that Atlas was portrayed as the problem. I didn't even know he'd willingly withdrawn from a race before, and that final line gnawed at me in the same way I was sure I was gnawing on my thumbnail.

I felt my dad's gaze on me as we rolled to a stop at a red light. "Do you want to talk about it?"

While I hadn't explicitly identified Atlas as my boyfriend to anyone in my immediate family, it didn't take a genius to figure out I'd been jetting all over the world the last few weeks to see a friend drive a race car at 200 MPH. But like everything else with Atlas, it was all speculation and hearsay.

"He had a bad race, there's nothing to talk about." I propped my chin up in my hand, keeping my gaze out the window as we continued down the Pacific Coast Highway. In the side view mirror, Sam had his head stuck out of the back window of my dad's truck, his tongue out and his white fur fluttering in the wind. I smiled at his reflection, and in that moment it really sunk in how neglectful I'd been of my home, and everything that came with it.