39 | the breach

PORSCHE FORCED TO USE RESERVE DRIVER AS VAUGHN BACKS OUT BEFORE US GRAND PRIX QUALIFYING

It was nightmarish deja-vu for Atlas Vaughn and Porsche Racing as Vaughn inexplicably withdrew from the United States Grand Prix an hour before qualifying on Saturday, forcing Porsche to use American reserve driver Derek Bonafonte the rest of the weekend.

Bonafonte worked his way up from P14 into the last points spot finish in P10, but any heroics were overshadowed by Adrian Olsen's win, securing himself his second World Drivers Championship. Ferrari's Callahan Jane and Porsche's Jaye Lim rounded out the final podium positions, giving Lim redemption from his disastrous first lap crash at Hockenheim.

Porsche has yet to issue a statement regarding Vaughn's withdrawal. With two races left in the season, it is no longer possible for Vaughn to catch Jane in 2nd place in the World Drivers Championship standings.

I'd left Austin before the race on Sunday. There was no point in lingering amongst the wreckage. It was irreparable.

I'd been bombarded on social media from fans probing for information on what happened to Atlas at the race - so much so that I switched my profile to private and blocked DMs from being sent.

I had a week to marinate in my misery, and that was all I decided I'd give it. Gemma was coming to visit, and as we'd always stood by, nothing without a uterus would intrude on our time together.

Gemma was already waiting outside the terminal, in a variation of a chic black outfit I'd already seen so many times before with a composed facial expression I was so used to, sporting another pair of Ray Bans that were probably Callahan Jane's.

She finally spotted me as I pulled my Wrangler up to the curb, extending the handle on her suitcase parked beside her. It wasn't like she needed my help putting her things in the car, but just seeing Gemma catapulted me from the car as a mixture of relief and gratitude came over me. I immediately pulled her into a hug, and the familiar scent of her Chanel perfume filled the air as she returned the hug with a gentle squeeze.

We completely disregarded a traditional greeting - it was wasted breath here, despite the way we'd left things in Germany. It seemed small now, nothing but a blip on the storm radar.

Gemma pulled back, her hands still on my shoulders and her eyes alight with striking conviction. "No matter what, it's you and me forever. Please know that."

My heart had been heavy all week, and it finally seemed to lift in my chest at Gemma's words. She knew I didn't need to be showered with trivial condolences like are you okay and I'm here for you. Our friendship had transcended stuff like that a long time ago. It wasn't about boys. It was about us.