42 | lights out

ATLAS VAUGHN REVEALS MENTAL HEALTH STRUGGLES AHEAD OF FINAL RACE OF THE SEASON

Porsche ace Atlas Vaughn revealed in one of the first interviews of this final race weekend in Abu Dhabi that he has been suffering from panic attacks since his rookie season in Formula One. The most recent of which occurring before qualifying in the United States Grand Prix, accounting for his absence in qualifying and the race that weekend.

"It's been a very difficult thing for me to reconcile with these last few weeks," Vaughn explained to Sky Sports. "But I've also realized recently that it's quite selfish of me to hold onto this any longer, because I know I wish I had someone back then telling me that it's okay, and that if I need help I'm allowed to ask. It's not something to be ashamed or embarrassed about. So my hope is that someone else sees me talking about it, and maybe that gives them the strength to ask for help too."

"I know I've told you like ten times already this weekend, but I'm proud of you."

"Well, don't go grabbing the balloons and streamers yet, I still haven plenty of time to cop out of doing that Players' Tribune article," Atlas chuckled as he zipped up the front of his racing overalls.

"You wouldn't," I scoffed. "You're too committed now. Besides, I think you actually want to do it."

"I know," he surrendered in a low voice, the sincerity not lost on either of us. Atlas then leaned down to press a kiss to the top of my head.

He'd stayed with me for the week in California, and he'd even made a congratulatory post for me on his Instagram for my world title, publicly solidifying my place in his life. We'd then ventured over to Abu Dhabi together for the last race of the season, with Phantom joining us.

Things were almost normal. Almost.

I'd seen Gemma across the paddock earlier through a sea of red polo shirt guys, but she hadn't seen me, and part of me was relieved she hadn't. I wasn't ready to confront all of that yet. Boys are one thing, but best friends are another stratosphere entirely.

"Don't stress about it," Atlas had told me. "You two will have your time together when you're both ready." I knew he was right, but that didn't make waiting around for that moment any less nerve-wracking.

This time, when Atlas walked me out into the paddock and towards the garages, we ran into a gaggle of Red Polo Shirt Guys, with Callahan Jane dressed in his red kit in the center of them.

I knew that Cal knew. After Atlas and I had returned from our shark conservatory field trip, the first person he wanted to speak to was Callahan. Callahan knowing the truth was sort of a catalyst for everyone and everything else. So when they made eye contact across the paddock, all of the lingering negativity from their feud in Germany had dissipated.

I, on the other hand, still had lingering negativity, mostly of my own doing. I didn't even know the extent of what Callahan knew about my fight with Gemma, but it didn't matter. This was something I knew I had to do first. So I tried to grab his attention the best way I knew how.

"Hey, Red Polo Shirt Guy!"

In hindsight, that was not the best course of action as literally every guy sporting a Red Polo Shirt turned around except the one whose attention I wanted. Atlas took care of that with aplomb.

"Hey, meilleur ami!" he called across the paddock, and it snatched Callahan's attention immediately. He took in the sight of us together with the faintest half-smile before turning back to his gaggle of Red Polo Shirt Guys and exchanged a few words with them, then sending them off and walking over to us.