6

It was already nighttime. Almost midnight. Yeonseo was wearing Baekhee's uniform as she walked around the outdoor area of the palace. She reached the pavilion where it was right by the lake. Her father always took pictures there whenever he goes to the palace for work.

Instead of seeing an old wooden pavilion, it actually looked new like it had just got painted. She stood at the place and looked at the lake, seeing fireflies flying around. She smiled to herself and sat down, enjoying the night breeze.

When can I go back home? I miss dad.

A tear fell from her right eye, earning her by surprise. The next thing she knew, she started crying. She wiped her tears with the hem of her sleeve.

"I wanna go home," she said and brought her knees to her chest before burying her face into them. An unknown hand made her flinch in surprise. It was holding a handkerchief, motioning her to take it.

She tilted her head and saw the rude nobleman telling her to take his handkerchief. She frowned and stood up, "You again."

"That is an interesting way to greet someone," he scoffed. She wiped her tears and looked away, "I thought you told me not to see you again."

"You're going to ruin your uniform," he said before grabbing her hand. He put the handkerchief on her palm and sighed. She gave in and wiped her tears with it, staring at the fireflies dancing near the water.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be sleeping to wake up for work tomorrow?" He asked. She thought for a while, trying to come up with an excuse.

"I just had a lot in mind. Just mind your own business," she frowned and looked away.

"I guess I'm not the only one who comes here with a stressful mind," he chuckled, staring at the night sky. The stars were twinkling as if they were greeting them both.

"Oh Baekhee," he muttered before scoffing, rolling his eyes. She looked at him, feeling confused and dumbfounded.

What's wrong with him calling my court lady? Wait. Oh, that's right! He still thinks I'm Baekhee! How can I forget that?

"Are you mocking my name?" She glared at him. He couldn't help but chuckle, "Is that how you talk to someone who just saved you?"

"Oh, so you're the type to hold a grudge, huh?" She argued back, folding her arms. He was taken aback by the response, "Excuse me?"

"As I said, I didn't ask you to save me. Technically, I didn't owe you anything. And you clearly told me to not bump into you again. So isn't that a favour? For the both of us?"

"Oh, I'm right all along. You are the selfish type."

She looked at him, feeling annoyed and disbelief all at once. She threw the handkerchief at him before stepping on his left foot hard. He groaned in pain, "Yah!"

She scoffed and walked away, leaving him alone at the pavilion.

🌷

The new day arrived. Yeonseo walked through the hallway and smiled at the workers who greeted her. She was hoping that she didn't have to meet the nobleman again.

Baekhee followed behind her as she had her head hung low. Yeonseo walked out of the palace before heading towards the lake. She saw Sunoo sitting silently at the pavilion, reading a book.

She quickly turned around, facing her court lady. "Baekhee-yah."

"Yes, Your Highness."

"What if the king already knows? Should I tell him?" She asked, feeling panic taking over her. Baekhee sighed, "If I were you, I would never tell him until he finds out himself. But, it's better to be honest. He'll feel a bit better if you were honest with him."

Yeonseo exhaled heavily and turned back around to glance at the king but saw that he already had his eyes on her. She saw him talk to his head male servant before stepping off the pavilion.

"You should walk to him, Your Highness," Baekhee suggested. She nodded and walked to him. They both stood near the lake, staring at their reflections on the water.

"How are you feeling?" Sunoo asked. "Better," Yeonseo said.

"Forgive me for raising my voice at you the other day. You must be surprised. Just please don't ever kill yourself again. How can I live when my sister dies tragically?"

She bowed, "Sorry."

His lips curved into a small smile, "I'm not sure if you remember this but your birthday is coming up in a few days. As usual, I would hold a banquet. Would you like anything for a gift?"

"I would like a quiet place where no court ladies could follow me. A place like this lake."

He frowned, "How can I not be worried? What if you try to–"

"I promise I won't. It doesn't have to be a lake. I just want a place as peaceful as this."

"Very well. Consider it done."

She nodded and glanced at the person who was walking towards them. Her eyes widened when she saw Jungwon. Sunoo noticed her shocked expression and turned around, "Oh, Jungwon-ah!"

Why do you have to call him here?!

She immediately turned around and held her hair to cover her face. Sunoo smiled at the nobleman, "I'm sure you had never met my sister before."

Shit! Don't introduce me to him! Please no!

Sunoo looked at her, feeling dumbfounded. "Yah, why are you hiding your face?"

"I'm sure the princess is uncomfortable for people to see her except her family members," Jungwon said. Sunoo scoffed, "Uncomfortable? She's fine."

The nobleman chuckled awkwardly before averting his gaze to the lake. His eyes widened when he made eye contact with the princess. She also had her eyes widened in shock.

She dropped her hand, letting the wind push her hair back. He had finally found out who she was through the reflection on the water. She looked at him, seeing him looking at her with his astounded eyes.

"You are the princess?" Jungwon muttered under his breath.